Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Does anyone here Tow?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2015, 7:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Does anyone here Tow?

I want to buy a Cargo Trailer, in fact, right now I am wishing I had a camping trailer, I'd hook up and go this weekend. Anyways, on to a Cargo Trailer... I am trying to decide on length.

I was originally thinking 16 feet or so, 7 feet wide. The idea is to have this for storage, not so much for pulling around. My friend who's pulled trailers says I should just go big or go home so to speak. 8 feet wide and as big as possible. Now I find myself looking at 8.5' Trailers between 20 and 28 feet long. I could practically set up a small shop in there and I am starting to really like this idea.

However, common sense... I am not sure I have it at the moment. Does anyone have experience pulling with a Savana 3500 6.0L? The size and weight should be no problem. I just imagine I might burn a lot of fuel, but it should pull up to 10,000lbs no problem. I don't see myself pulling that much weight, but you never know. I think my main concern is length. Is there anything to consider when pulling with an Express/Savana van?

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone here Tow?-00u0u_8izg5shfblz_600x450.jpg  

Last edited by dberladyn; May 30th, 2015 at 7:12 PM. Reason: Added Picture, the longest.... consideration.
Old May 30th, 2015, 7:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your main concern should be width. Narrower trailers are easier to see around and maneuver. Don't go any wider then necessary. Longer trailers are easier to back up, but you have to plan your routes accordingly and allow lots of space.

You will want a good brake controller installed in the van.

Your 3500 will pull up to 10k without any issue... matter of fact it will be good at it, as these vans tow very well. You will need to use the tow/haul mode and yes it will guzzle gas.

Last edited by greenfire; May 30th, 2015 at 7:56 PM.
Old May 30th, 2015, 8:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I towed a 16 foot enclosed 6 foot wide with my similarly equipped 2500p/u. total weight loaded for me was maybe 6000-7000lbs. I had the 4.11 rear end and it towed easy. Similar trucks with the lower rear end have no *****.
I went across Canada and through the hills of northern Ontario. I could pull out and pass up hill and be at 120kph faster than my spouse driving her v-6 car. mpg through the prairies was 14mpg imperial on the trans Canada hwy doing 120kph. 11-12mpg imperial through the hills at maybe 90 to 100kph.

anything wider that 6 feet and you will want mirror extenders. Tekonsha primus iq brake controller was fantastic.
Old May 30th, 2015, 8:40 PM
CF Pro Member

I have the tekonsha P3, I just need the GM adapter cable, it doesn't matter but I'd rather not cut the factory wires, I found them above and to the left of the brake pedal. I'm a little stumped on where to mound the tekonsha for looks and comfort. I am thinking of cutting an oval out of the knee bolster and having it slip in there.

I really wish I could get the GM trailer control mounted. Pic included. The perfect spot is to move the Tow/Haul button and mount this there. I've done cursory investigations into mounting the GM brake controller but.. it has many many electrical contacts that I can't figure out without a Silverado schematic. I suppose it ties into the BCM so it's out. However, I even thought of hacking this to work with the Tekonsha, but then I guess the liability would be huge if something went wrong.

Thank you for the tips. See I figured a 7 foot trailer so I could see behind it, but my buddy said no, go as big as I can. Even tow mirrors... he said I didn't need them, but I think he's wrong. He pulls flat decks up country, not vans in the city.

Good advice and much to ponder. I love that 28 footer, 8 feet wide inside, it would make a nice storage unit/work shop combo. You should see the inside, it's all decked out and cheaper than it should be. So if I did get an 8.5 wide, I would have to get wider mirrors right? Are there any clip ons that are worth it? Or better yet, is there any extending/retracting mirrors for the Savana like the Silverado has? Obvious question which I assume the answer to, but will ask anyways, will a Silverado mirror mount to a Savana?
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone here Tow?-%24_35.jpg   Does anyone here Tow?-%24-kgrhqn-okfilrp-pn-bsmkpzze3-%7E%7E60_35.jpg   Does anyone here Tow?-%24t2ec16j-qe9s3heeswbrlz5i-f9g%7E%7E60_35.jpg  

Last edited by dberladyn; May 30th, 2015 at 8:59 PM.
Old May 30th, 2015, 11:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 7x14, but sold it basically to buy my van. I pulled it with my 1/2 ton silverado and while it didn't have any problems, I wouldn't recommend it. My 3500 w/6.0l van pulls everything much easier of course. Barely even notice much of a mileage hit pulling a boat or anything like that.
Old August 30th, 2015, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tow with a 3500 Express 6.0L and brake controller. I pull an Interstate 8x16 cargo that is converted for RV use. Bath/Shower, holding tanks, pressure water, Water heater, Furnace, AC, Genset, and solar. Its heavy. I am guessing 6-7Klbs. It pulls easy but gas mileage drops to 9-10mpg as to be expected. I have towed thousands of miles.

Be more concerned about total weight (GVW) of your trailer. Check your drivers license. In many states (perhaps all) a standard drivers license (class C) only allows you to tow 9999lbs. After that you have to have a CDL or some option in between? Many hauling larger 5th wheels aren't even aware of this. Getting nailed without it will get you into a mess. Probably a tow fee and a ticket/fine....and unable to move your trailer. If you find all of this out because you cause an accident the lawyers are going to come after you too.

Last edited by goyakpacking; July 15th, 2016 at 2:26 PM.
Old August 30th, 2015, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

I am running a 1997 1500 350 ci Express van. It has a class 1 hitch that i tow a box trailer with. i would like to upgrade to a class 4 hitch to tow a larger trailer and possibly even my 1997 Jeep TJ. What kind of upgrades am I looking at? I am considering having a custom bumper with a class 4 hitch and double tire carriers on for my next long trip down East in Canada from Toronto to Newfoundland and back through the US next summer. Am I being realistic or should I stop before I start?
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:48 AM
CF Pro Member

I have both a Class IV and a Class V here. They both mount directly to the frame. The holes are already there, I believe there are four holes per frame rail dedicated to mounting a hitch. Keep your bumper.

PS. Too bad you are on the East Coast... I want to sell one of these.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the offer but as I said I am looking at a custom bumper in order to have 2 spares as well. One of the unique advantages of the express series van is the high sitting rear lights allowing a spare tire carrier that would normally block all rear lights where with an express only the license plate and light will nedd to be re-located. I especially want 2 spares so I can utilize them as well for my future trailer which will have the same size tires as my Express. Another cool idea I am exploring is utilizing the huge space between the rear frame rails currently occupied by the spare tire. This would be a really cool area for storage below floor level if the spare is gone from there.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Pro Member

Yeah, that's a neat point... That's where the factory LNG tanks go if equipped. I still don't understand the bumper/hitch issue. But if you want it combined with the bumper I guess you'll have to see a fabrication shop. Although you will need certification I would think.

Quick Reply: Does anyone here Tow?