Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Door Lock Tumblers Loose

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2008, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Lock Tumblers Loose

We have a 2000 Chevy Express 3500 Van for deliveries at our office and it has had its passenger side door lock tumbler come loose so that when we try to insert the key to unlock the door, it simply slides in towards the inside of the door. No matter how carefully we try, it can not be made to stay still enough to use the key to unlock the door.

Once I tried to fix it by disassembling the door and taking a look at the lock mechanism. I initially thought that a retaining clip had come off and was somewhere in the bottom of the door.But upon closer scrutiny, there was not a clip anywhere in the door and further, the lock had no such provision for a clip. There was black adhesive on the tumbler, so I figured that Chevy was now gluing the tumblers in place. I reassembled the lock and was using it for a while, but the same problem returned.

Now the drivers side door has the same problem. We can't even lock the doors now! Are these locks simply just glued in now?! Has anyone else seen these locks? Am I missing something? Should I just clean the parts with acetone and then reglue them? What type of glue should I use?

Thanks
Old December 5th, 2008, 11:42 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Door Lock Tumblers Loose

Sounds like your door handles are broken, the lock cylinders have a tab that locks cylinder into handle. Hold a cylinder, turn key in it & you will see it. Someone may be trying to get in it. They break them to rob you.
Old May 5th, 2009, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Talking Fixed!

Yes, that's what it was. The tabs had simply come off of their mounting location. A simple press into position was all it took. Nothing was broken, so I just suspect overexuberance in unlocking from users.