Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Driver's Power Window Switch Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Power Window Switch Issue

I have a 2004 chevy express cargo van with power windows. 7 years no problem. Suddenly the duel driver's switch died. Replaced switch and it died two weeks later. The passenger side switch works but both rocker switches on the duel driver's switch are dead.

Any ideas?
Old October 17th, 2013, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my 2004 chevy express and see this post is old...Was hoping to see what the result was with that issue.
Old October 18th, 2013, 12:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try calling a GM dealer service tech, and see if there is a know issue with the switch. I find it had to believe a rocker switch can fail, unless a short is overloading it.....
Old October 18th, 2013, 5:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil D'Andria
I am having the same problem with my 2004 chevy express and see this post is old...Was hoping to see what the result was with that issue.
Three things you have to consider to fix this issue, you might have bad switch or bad relay or bad window regulator motor. Need to test each component to see which is the defective part and replace from there.
Old November 3rd, 2013, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

On our white 2000 Conversion, the driver's window motor was "eating" switches because it seemed to be drawing too many amps(enough to toast the switch contacts but not blow the fuse). Replaced the window motor(not too hard) and switch.
Old November 4th, 2013, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

I hope to prove your thought correct. In my research I had gotten similar info and have just ordered Driver window motor, the circuit breaker and new switch hoping it solves the problem. I wanted to ask..did the switch blow immediately or did it work for a period of time. I seem to get about 2 weeks out of each driver switch.
Old December 18th, 2013, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Just out of curiosity, are these factory power windows or after market? I have worked on a couple of these were the aftermarket switches failed because of a bad solder joint.

Aftermarket power window switches usually sit "proud". Like the switch is mounted to the panel. Not really part of the design.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Default power windows

I had a 2000 Chevy Venture minivan for 12 years and still have a 1997 Chevy 1500 conversion van: power window motors had to be replaced on both of them after about 7 years. Window operation became erratic and unreliable. It got to the point where I never knew if I'd be able to close the window at night, so I had the dealer replace the motor.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fixed it finally!

Originally Posted by neiljames
I hope to prove your thought correct. In my research I had gotten similar info and have just ordered Driver window motor, the circuit breaker and new switch hoping it solves the problem. I wanted to ask..did the switch blow immediately or did it work for a period of time. I seem to get about 2 weeks out of each driver switch.
I thought I would update my last post. It has been a while now and the switch is still functioning. As stated I installed the motor - which was easy, and the ciircuit breaker - also easy. All is good. Yea!
Old September 1st, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default 05 chevy express 3500

I'm having the same problem. Replaced my switch twice. And it keeps going bad. How did you test the motor to know if it was putting to much power to the switch? Is there anything else to test? What are the volts/amps that are supposed to be coming from these parts?I'm so happy I found this thread i I've been looking for help for weeks now.