Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Easy belt change

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2021, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Easy belt change

Just changed out alternator , idler pully, tensioner pully and serpentine belt on our “new to us “ 2015 Chevy express 1 Ton van . Found that there is very little room to move the tensioner over toward the drivers side in order to slip the belt up over the alternator.
Even using a “ tensioner tool “ you run out of room when you come up against radiator hoses and power steering lines . Feels like you just need a tiny bit more distance to get the belt on but you are either up against the center shaft of the fan or those belts and hoses . Plus both hands / arms are jockeying for the same limited space in front of the alternator.
I watched several YouTube vids and kept seeing the same approach. After at least a dozen tries coming at the belt from this method I tried a different approach and it was so simple and easy it only took about 20 seconds!!!
I’m sure all the mechanics out there already do this on these vans but here it is ,,,

use the short section of the tensioner tool or a short ratchet and 15 mm socket ( either the one that came with the tensioner tool or better yet a 1 1/2 long 15mm socket) . Reach down low to the left side of the tensioner ( below the condenser ?)
There is lots of room to pull up on the tool and just clear the hard lines of the condenser.
My 1/2” drive short ratchet is 9 1/4 “ long and was able to clear the lines .
This was also a very easy and natural motion to just pull the tool up and have the tensioner go off towards the idler pully and alternator. This allowed my left hand and arm to be completely out of the way . Also if you slip the belt under the idler pully last instead of trying to slip it over the alternator last it makes the whole process so easy and quick.
I hope this helps someone out there !
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (July 18th, 2021)
Old July 18th, 2021, 5:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

post the engine you did it on so it doesn't cause confusion
Old July 18th, 2021, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Engine

again ,,It’s a 2015 Chevy Express 1 Ton van!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,a 6.0 liter SBC .........
Old July 18th, 2021, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

I think the pickups have a little bit more room to get at the tensioner because the vans hood is so short and the bottom of the windshield is directly above the belt And maybe a different engine configuration would be different too