Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Engine stumbles at a stop

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2023, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine stumbles at a stop

1997 Chevy Express 1500 Mark III LE. 5.7 liter 350 V8.
Purchased the van knowing it needed transmission repairs. 144000 miles. Transmission was rebuilt by a reputable shop. New intake manifold gasket installed, complete tune up at the same time. Plugs, wires, distributor module (cap). Also had a new fuel injection module (8 legged spider). I installed a new IAC valve. Also threw a code for one of the oxygen sensors (O2).
The van runs great. However once it warms up to normal temperatures, never overheats. It will start to sputter and stumble at a stop when in drive. Like it wants to cut off. If I shift it to neutral or even park it seems to idle just fine. Once I leave a light of a stop sign the van will run just fine. I can dive it 200 miles without an issue unless I come to a stop. The check engine light is no on, and this problem throws no codes.
I have read thread after thread in this forum. One post where someone had a similar issue. The poster stated that after he replaced the engine temperatures sensor the problem was solved.
This is the point I am at. I've ordered an AC Delco engine temp. sensor. My next step is to replace it. I thought I would start from here with the least expensive things I can do to try to solve th issue. My questions ti the forum are: Are there two engine temp. sensors on the model year? I also read that some have two. One for the gauge on the dash, and one for the signal to to EMC (computer). Which is the one I want to replace. Temp gauge on the dash is reading fine. I can see the thermostat open and close. Does anyone know the exact location of this sensor?
Lastly any other information or serious suggestions on this issue anyone may have, I would appreciate hearing. I think I have all the pertinent information I have in this post. Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2023, 1:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

1997 is OBDII so you should have some good sensor data available. You said no codes. Do you have a scanner? You can get cheap ones and use the Torque app on your phone for less than a temp. sensor and see what all the sensors are reading...aka freeze frame data to see if what computer sees from the sensor and if that makes sense.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Triaged

Not the help I am looking for. I've had it scanned at a local shop. No codes or symptoms.
However I did order s Bluetooth scan tool as you suggested.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by outtactrl
Not the help I am looking for. I've had it scanned at a local shop. No codes or symptoms.
However I did order s Bluetooth scan tool as you suggested.
Thanks for the advice.
Old August 2nd, 2023, 6:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.
No problem. I'm not a fan of doing much swapping without diagnosis... I do. But I don't like it. Part store sensors are often of worse quality than old OEM from a junkyard so I buy OEM and it's expensive. If you already paid the shop to diagnose it go ahead and swap the part.

Don't use Teflon tape on it because it won't ground well. Use liquid thread sealer.

This is the one I have. It works ok for the cost. I got a short OBDII extension so it will tuck up behind the dash.
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
outtactrl (August 2nd, 2023)
Old August 2nd, 2023, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Triaged
No problem. I'm not a fan of doing much swapping without diagnosis... I do. But I don't like it. Part store sensors are often of worse quality than old OEM from a junkyard so I buy OEM and it's expensive. If you already paid the shop to diagnose it go ahead and swap the part.

Don't use Teflon tape on it because it won't ground well. Use liquid thread sealer.

This is the one I have. It works ok for the cost. I got a short OBDII extension so it will tuck up behind the dash.
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...dp/B005NLQAHS/
I ordered an ACDelco sensor, I thought that was OEM. I agree, most things I refuse to use anything but OEM. Depends on the part and cost I guess. I had the transmission beefed up some. I hope it lasts.
And that's the exact ODB 2 I just bought.
Old August 4th, 2023, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar stalling symptoms in a 2000 3500 with 5.7 and 4L80E. When I would come to a stop with the transmission in Drive or at low throttle when in reverse, RPMs would drop significantly and sometimes the engine would stall. I learned that one cause can be a faulty brake switch - my switch was OK and not the cause. I also had no codes and all sensors were working normally. I installed a Sonnax 34200-14K valve in the transmission (easy job) which eliminated the stalling problem and 20K miles later my 4L80E is still performing great.
Old August 4th, 2023, 11:47 AM
CF Senior Member

And that's the exact ODB 2 I just bought.
Get it yet? What's the coolant temp and intake air temp before starting it up in the morning? Should basically match the outside temperature.
Old August 5th, 2023, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Triaged

Not yet. Still waiting on the scanner to come. Was supposed to arrive yesterday, not their saying Monday. Will let you know what I find.
Old August 9th, 2023, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Triaged

So I got this scanner. No problems found on the diagnostic. I don't know how the fuel trims can help me. I'm not a certified mechanic, I just work on my own stuff. I'm gonna try to attach some screen shots of the live data

Idle in drive

Idle in drive

Idle in park

Idle in park

Quick Reply: Engine stumbles at a stop