Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

excessive play in steering

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2021, 1:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default excessive play in steering

the other day i got 4 tires and an alignment done.When i got the van back the steering wheel was crooked so io brought it back,They kinda straightened it out but he said there was excessive play in steering wheel.i told him the Steering box is new,the tierod ends are new and the idler arm and pitman arm are new as well.Where can the excessive play come from?the rag joint?
Old November 13th, 2021, 4:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

check for play in the universal joint.

Please post your vehicle details. Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2021, 6:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

Sad because part of an alignment is a pre alignment inspection. this is to make sure nothing is worn before they start the alignment. Makes no sense to do an alignment on a vehicle with worn parts.

do a dry park check to check for play in all steering components. With full weight of the vehicle on the ground and stationary; have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth a few inches each way....you inspect each steering component for play. Modern vehicles should show no movement of the steering without moving the wheels.

Old November 16th, 2021, 12:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

You don't say what year but the 95-back have two U-joints in the shaft. I've never had one get sloppy, instead they will get stiff. 93-95 have a sleeve over the lower shaft right to the box which prevents them from getting wet.

Probably the issue is the toe was set with the wheel not 100% straight. If there's not enough thread in the tie rod ends to straighten it out then there could be other damage.

Play would show as being able to turn the steering wheel before the wheels themselves begin to turn.
Old November 16th, 2021, 2:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

It is not our intent to poo poo another shop, but when work like explained for a shop installing new tires and performing an alignment, gets out as it did here,somebody is asleep at the switch. Their work is not being checked as it should be.. Hopefully they will straighten it out. Also as earlier stated, no alignment should be attempted until an inspection of all steering and suspension parts has been performed. Makes you wonder how they stay in business.
Old December 14th, 2021, 5:50 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
check for play in the universal joint.

Please post your vehicle details. Thanks.
2008 chevy express 2500
Old December 14th, 2021, 5:51 PM
CF Active Member

pep boys dont really care they got rid of thier parts department and now do service only..............looks like manny moe and joe might be bye bye soon
Old December 21st, 2021, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement steering box?

If you went from stiff truck tires to tires with deeper tread or visa versa, it could change the feel in the steering wheel. If you replaced the steering box, did you adjust out the play? See YT vids for steering box adjustment.
Old February 20th, 2022, 6:03 PM
CF Active Member

Default steering box

i think your on to something...i didnt take the slop out of the box...i will and see if that straightens it out....................to be continued
Old March 5th, 2022, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

that was the issue never adjusted the steering box when i first put it in...............lesson learned..they dont adjust them before they send em

Quick Reply: excessive play in steering