Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express 3500 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2019, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express 3500 nightmare

Hello, my name is John and I have been reading about the common problems with these Chevy express vans with the spider fuel injection sytems.
I recently bought a Chevy express 3500 with a 5.7
I purchased used for work purposes. I gave the van a complete tune up and suspension items and rode for about 20,000 miles and now van is not running well. The check engine light flashes at idle and I have replaced all related sensors the fuel spider injection twice and checked compression all reads at 120-115 psi and replaced the distributor assembly. All ending in the same result.. flashing check engine light at idle. If anyone has run into this issue please post on this subject. Thanks for reading
Old April 4th, 2019, 3:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by John Skolnekovich
Hello, my name is John and I have been reading about the common problems with these Chevy express vans with the spider fuel injection sytems.
I recently bought a Chevy express 3500 with a 5.7
I purchased used for work purposes. I gave the van a complete tune up and suspension items and rode for about 20,000 miles and now van is not running well. The check engine light flashes at idle and I have replaced all related sensors the fuel spider injection twice and checked compression all reads at 120-115 psi and replaced the distributor assembly. All ending in the same result.. flashing check engine light at idle. If anyone has run into this issue please post on this subject. Thanks for reading
Need to pull the codes with a scan tool. Spider fuel injection is on lots of GM vehicles.BTW.. Its just another intake port FI system. What year and mileage is the 3500?
Old April 4th, 2019, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Milage is 134,500 range and is a 01
Old April 4th, 2019, 1:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by John Skolnekovich
Milage is 134,500 range and is a 01
Not high miles but your light on the dash means your ECM has a code or codes stashed away. One of the auto parts stores can read them for free, or you can by a simple one for 25-35 USD. Plug into the OBD II port under the dash and it will read the code(s) I can tell you what that means or it's online all over the place, but oftentimes it can mean many things. Ancel makes some good simple code readers, which is what the store can or do use. BTW your compression is on the low side, but seem to be equal. Did you do a wet test or dry?

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 4th, 2019 at 2:01 PM.
Old April 4th, 2019, 2:04 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 right now 10% off so around $31.00 for a code reader. i got this one plus a $200 one. the main difference is the $200 can read live data amongst other things. but the cheaper one will do the job you want
Old April 4th, 2019, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Dry test with tester. Book says that's where the compression should be at. I have multiple obd 2 testers and it is the po 300 multiple cylinder misfire..
I changed all sensors associated with this code from research. Still same result. Flashing check engine light.
Old April 6th, 2019, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Express 3500 nightmare updated

Hello fellow readers,

I'm in working on a Chevy express 3500 with a 5.7 engine. Problem first began a high speed on highways the check engine light would flash and stop. Now the light continues to flash even at idle..
I pulled the van into the driveway and started diagnosing... Here are the tests or repairs made

New plugs and wires
New map,MAF,tps,cam and crank sensors
Egr valve
New fuel injection assembly
Checked compression reads 120psi
Replaced the distributor cap and rotor
Pulled cat and checked for restrictions
Pulled pcm and checked and reinstalled

Also there is a burnt spot on the middle of the exhaust manifold passenger side.

Has anyone else have had this issue? Flashing check engine light and a po 300 code...

Thanks for reading.
Old April 6th, 2019, 3:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Did you check your fuel pressure?

You should post updates in the original topic. Not start new ones each time.
Old April 7th, 2019, 4:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=mountainmanjoe;425856]Did you check your fuel pressure?

You should post updates in the original topic. Not start new ones each time.[/QUOTE]

+1