Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express Van has strange AC issue PIC

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2017, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express Van has strange AC issue PIC

Ok 2002 Chevy express van.
Here the deal, the AC when set to dash setting blows cold through the passenger side vent only, the other vents blow air but not cold air. The rear over head AC system works and blows cold. How is one vent on dash cold and other are not?
Pic attached shows the vents in RED that are blowing air and BLUE showing the vents that blow cold.

I'm lost .
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Express Van has strange AC issue PIC-imageedit_4_9230826321.jpg  
Old June 30th, 2017, 3:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is strange really, as the evaporator tubes are plumbed in parallel. May be one of the tubes is pinched so the cold refrigerant doesn't get to the front evaporator? Inspect tubing on the RH side of the van under the hood, that goes towards the AC module on the firewall. You can also remove a bunch of 5.5mm screws to remove that AC cover and you will gain access to the evaporator and see if it gets cold.
Old June 30th, 2017, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Artie1
This is strange really, as the evaporator tubes are plumbed in parallel. May be one of the tubes is pinched so the cold refrigerant doesn't get to the front evaporator? Inspect tubing on the RH side of the van under the hood, that goes towards the AC module on the firewall. You can also remove a bunch of 5.5mm screws to remove that AC cover and you will gain access to the evaporator and see if it gets cold.
If you right and something pinched, why would AC work out passenger vent only?
Old July 1st, 2017, 4:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on some cars... when youre low on refrigerant ... only the passenger side vents blow cold
Old July 1st, 2017, 9:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

does it have dual temp controls...if its single zone temp...as mentioned, start with checking the refrigerant level
Old July 29th, 2017, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

I had this happen on my Ram pickup. The blender door which directs air flow had failed on one side. I suspect that you are getting cold air where the blender door (i.e. Flap) works and getting ambient air through the other vents.
Old August 9th, 2017, 8:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Same thing is happening to my van, My question is there a door i can knock open or actuator on the driver side. Temp works don't really need heat where i'm at.Control to all vents work so i know it's not them. Fusses checked, Just warm air driver to middle. Passenger is the only one blowing cold air. back blows warm air too.
Old August 10th, 2017, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2nd on blend door actuator.
Old August 10th, 2017, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Any idea where i might find that blend door?
Old August 10th, 2017, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it is above and to the right of the engine cover.....