Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Fixed my stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2011, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my stalling problem

My 1997 3/4 ton Express van began stalling recently while driving down the highway. It did it 3 times on a long trip. It would restart and run fine. The body has 422,000 miles but the new 350 Vortec only has 60,000. After reading the codes brought up on a scanner, I replaced the original coil, the control module next to the coil, and the crank sensor. The problem still existed but in a random fashion. It went for days without the problem but then might do it several times in a day.

In talking with a GM tech, I found out that sometimes there is a problem at wiring connectors in the fuel system. He told me what to look for. I started at the fuel pump looking for a discolored female terminal with a sign of melted plastic around the terminal inside the connector. I had to drop the gas tank down a little to get to the connector. The connection at the gas tank was fine so I checked the next connector up the wiring harness at the front of the gas tank near the fuel filter. When I unplugged that connector I found what I was looking for. One of the four terminals on the female end was discolored and the plastic around that terminal was slightly melted. I cut that wire on each side of the connector and spliced in a jumper wire eliminating that one terminal in the connector.

Problem solved. The truck runs fine now. It even starts the first time which is something that it has never done in the 5 years I have owned it. I always used to have to turn the key on then back off and on again to get the truck to start.

Hope this helps someone who is at wits end with their vehicle.

Last edited by Kentuckian; July 11th, 2011 at 11:41 PM.