Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

flushed brakes 2015 - now the fluid is green - ?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2019, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default flushed brakes 2015 - now the fluid is green - ?

I flushed the brake lines of this 2003 (purchased used) van in the beginning of 2015 @ 61788 miles.
Doing recent brake work, at 67645 miles, I notice the fluid in the reservoir is green.

When I flushed the fluid out in 2015 it was a black tea color.
I used Valvoline DOT 3/4 Brake Fluid to do the flush.

I see in the maintenance scheduled I put together, fluid should be changed every 30k or 24 months. 24 months - really?
I do low speed, short distance, driving and am surprised that flushing the brakes every 24 months would be needed. I can see brake fluid getting darker ... but green?

Why would light golden brake fluid turn green?
Old March 24th, 2019, 8:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by tbb2
I flushed the brake lines of this 2003 (purchased used) van in the beginning of 2015 @ 61788 miles.
Doing recent brake work, at 67645 miles, I notice the fluid in the reservoir is green.

When I flushed the fluid out in 2015 it was a black tea color.
I used Valvoline DOT 3/4 Brake Fluid to do the flush.

I see in the maintenance scheduled I put together, fluid should be changed every 30k or 24 months. 24 months - really?
I do low speed, short distance, driving and am surprised that flushing the brakes every 24 months would be needed. I can see brake fluid getting darker ... but green?

Why would light golden brake fluid turn green?
Should be able to go out 3 to five years on a brake fluid change. It all depends on how much mositure is in the system. They sell a kit for that, so you will know if your system is too high in H20, which is corrosive, since DOT 3/4 brake fluid is hydroscopic to begin with.