Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2020, 5:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 2007 2500. Had to replace both upper control arms. Problem solved
Old February 11th, 2021, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the shocks, rotors, calipers and pads and installed new tires and it was still shaking violently. I couldn't find anything loose so I went ahead and took it to the dealership. The Dealership still currently has my 2005 GMC Savana Cutaway Box Truck with a Violent Shake. They thought everything was tight in the front end but went ahead and put new tie rod ends on and control arm balanced and aligned the wheels and still had a violent shake. Tech was at a lose so they brought a second tech in to look at it and they decided it could be the gears in the power steering gear box. Still has a violent shake. They don't know what to do at this point and have recommended I install an aftermarket damper kit on it like bigger trucks have. I feel like I waisted about $3K when I originally thought of that before I took it to them.
Old February 11th, 2021, 9:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've noticed a few did this or that and problem solved. For me, I changed the idler and pitman arms a few years back and it has been good. My van is loaded. Seeing as though you have a box van, does distributing the load differently help?
Old February 25th, 2021, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default Violent shaking

Holy Crap!!!... I have a 2018 Chevy Express 2500 Explorer van and was on the highway driving approximately 55-65 MPH and when I applied the brakes to slow down for EZ Pass, the whole van started to shake violently and uncontrollably. Once I let my foot off the brake, it stopped shaking. This is the first time this has happenend as I drove the van the day before with no issues. It has been doing it ever since. I have it parked now for obvious reasons.....ANY IDEAS? Made appointment with Chevy, but not until Monday.
Old July 25th, 2021, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Any update or Fix?

Originally Posted by flash0513
Holy Crap!!!... I have a 2018 Chevy Express 2500 Explorer van and was on the highway driving approximately 55-65 MPH and when I applied the brakes to slow down for EZ Pass, the whole van started to shake violently and uncontrollably. Once I let my foot off the brake, it stopped shaking. This is the first time this has happenend as I drove the van the day before with no issues. It has been doing it ever since. I have it parked now for obvious reasons.....ANY IDEAS? Made appointment with Chevy, but not until Monday.

my 2012 with 50k has this issue and I cant seem to find the issue. Any One have Any luck ??
Old July 25th, 2021, 6:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It can be as simple as the type of pads and putting on new rotors. I changed from ceramic to semi-metallic and that resolved my problem.

Old July 26th, 2021, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

I hope so. Just did updated to severe duty semi metallic pads and severe duty rotors yesterday.
Old July 26th, 2021, 6:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have aluminum wheels, ensure the shop uses an actual Torque Wrench, and uses the spec when tightening- Not 'checking' to see it they're tight.
An impact wrench, even on the lowest setting will exceed specified torque with just a moment excess on the trigger..

Steelies have some give, a thick casting does not, and will warp hub flange and subsequently the rotor.

Radical wobble is a separated tire.
Old April 11th, 2022, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default 3500 express violently shakes above 55mph

Just had the shocks replaced. Seemed to be doing fine up until today. Going down hill just under 60mph. Don't remember hitting any significant bump. Started to shake violently. Drive directly to place who replaced shocks. They said it may be the steering damper.
​​​​​​
Old April 16th, 2022, 11:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Typically a shake when applying the brakes is a warped rotor. I had that issue on both of mine.

Quick Reply: Front end violently shaking like its Death Wobble