Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Give me som help on my 2003. Oil leaks, door catches and parts lists!

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2011, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give me som help on my 2003. Oil leaks, door catches and parts lists!

Hi All,
I have just purchased my first ever Chevrolet (ok, not that big of a deal considering I moved here from England 4 years ago I guess)...

Anyway....
I am now the happy owner of a 2003 15-pass van that I picked up from an auction for what I think is a great price, even considering it has a few minor issues.

First off, is the oil leak around the master cylinder. I took some pics an put them in an album: Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums - turbodave's Album: New Van - oil leak!

Does anyone know what this is most likely to be? It doesn't seem to be low on brake fluid, but the PAS reservoir is low, so I'm assuming it could be that. I was about to pressure wash it all to get it clean and track down the leak - but is that an electrical box underneath? That probably needs to not have high pressure water sprayed around it...

Also - what is with that brake booster, which looks like it's integral with the PAS somehow???? I've never seen something on any European GM - and have only had Fords, Subarus and Landrovers here in the USA - so if someone can school me I'd appreciate it!

Next - are there on-line parts diagrams? Or where is the best place to purchase? Same thing with the garage manual (I'd prefer electronic)...

The door stays (the bar that stops the door opening too far) are busted on both front, and both of the side doors. Is this typical? Is it a really weak point - or just an operator abuse thing?

I've seen many references to fuel pumps giving bad mpg - is this correct? I haven't driven it too far yet - but obviously want as good MPG as i can get...

Finally - how do I figure out if i have the 5.3 or the 6.0? And what about my axle ratio?

Thanks all!

Last edited by turbodave; May 25th, 2011 at 7:24 AM.