S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Oil Leaks and Rear Main Seal Replacement- Additional Parts/Problems?

Old September 23rd, 2014, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leaks and Rear Main Seal Replacement- Additional Parts/Problems?

Okay, I have an '84 S10 Blazer that I'm trying to get into reliable running condition so I can hit some back roads this winter.

It's been having some problems with smoke and I knew when I bought it that there were some oil leaks, so I asked a mechanic to check it out. While cleaning the year+ worth of accumulated gunk off of everything and changing the oil, he found that it was leaking substantially from the oil drain plug. Unfortunately, after replacing that and running the engine a little, he discovered that the rear main seal is leaking. Apparently, it's leaking at a good drip and hitting the exhaust system, which is why it's been smoking under there.

I know there's a lot of work involved in replacing the rear main seal, moving the transmission and such, so here's my question: What else should I ask the mechanic to do while he's in there? Are there parts that commonly tend to need replaced at the same time as the rear main seal? Have any of you had to replace a rear main seal and had other leaks or problems develop?

This is my first vehicle, and so far this is the only real problem I've had with it. If there are any parts that you think I should have checked out or replaced while the transmission is out, please let me know! I'd like to get ahead of as many future problems and complications as possible.

Thanks in advance!