Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hitch install

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2021, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hitch install

No one has produced a front receiver hitch for the Chevy Express series vans since 2003. It seems like every time I find a post that someone has found a hitch that can be reasonably modified, the hitch is no longer available. After having my 2017 Roadtrek 190 Popular stuck twice with 3 tires on the pavement, I finally decided I would just have to design my own. The Express 3500 does not have positrack. So in both cases, with one drive wheel less than a foot off the pavement, I was stuck. The additional problem is that there is NO proper tow recovery point in the front of these vans. Also my van has a front fairing that extends well below all forward components. So if you hook onto something you will likely tear off the VERY expensive front fairing. The first time, my brother-in-law brought his big Kubota with a front loader. we hooked the chain down under the bucket to hold it to the pavement and JUST cleared the front fairing. The second time I was pulling out of my sister-in-law's narrow driveway and backed across the VERY narrow street and same wheel off the pavement. It was raining. The tow truck driver had to hook a strap to the left front wheel and drag the van around, marring the finish on my wheel. Sooooooooo.........
I sat in my shop under the van on the lift and came up with a plan. However I am the world's worst welder. So I called Gary Gibbs at 3 G Fabrication and Welding in Burleson, Texas. <personal info removed. -mod>. After I explained what I was trying to do, he was intrigued and agreed to come to my shop and take a look. We confabed a while and he took a multitude of measurements and drew out a 3 and drawing by hand. While he was doing that, I removed the small plastic air dam and trimmed my front fairing to allow the front receivers to come thru. I used 2 front receivers because I want this for towing. The hitch could be built to have a single receiver in the middle to use for a rack or single point towing.. When he got back to the shop the made a CAD drawing and laser cut all the parts. He came back out and we jigged the entire thing up to verify everything lined up. He then took it back to the shop to welded and powder coat it. When he brought it back, we put it in place and it fit like a glove. Finished off the installation with grade 8 hardware. It is SUPER strong ....and looks kinda badassed. I hope I never have to use it, but I know if I do it will be there and do the job.​​​​​​​

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; March 5th, 2024 at 9:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by F16GoFast:
Triaged (March 5th, 2024), VanaWhiteEXP3500 (March 5th, 2024)
Old March 5th, 2024, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great design and look! Do you by chance have a PDF design of the hitch? Looking at making the same setup for my front bumper bike rack for my heavy bikes. Thanks!

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; March 5th, 2024 at 9:08 PM.
Old March 8th, 2024, 8:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is a fantastic idea! Thanks for doing that and sharing.

I’m not seeing any photos on my mobile. Will you please post some? Thank you.