Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How to adjust throttle position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust throttle position sensor?

I have a '95 Express 1500 van, and I'm still having idle issues (I have another thread on it...can be found here https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...er-high-41200/ ). I have put the vehicle on a diagnostic computer a few times, each time the code points to the TPS. I have replaced it, and seem to be encountering some conflicting information. I have read that this motor does not have an adjustment for idle speed, but then I find some things that talk about adjusting the TPS.

The part has a "rod" sticking out, with a plastic or hard rubber tip on it. When I turn it out, it sort of "clicks" into place what seems like every half-turn. We have been chasing this problem for what seems like forever, and we have limited resources and can not just keep buying parts all ***** nilly...

Please help!!

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Josh

Last edited by ChaosComplex; March 30th, 2011 at 1:04 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 5:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you're describing doesn't sound like the TPS. Are you looking at the IAC valve with four wires at the electrical connector?

If so, try zeroing it by turning the key off and then disconnecting the cable from the battery negative terminal for a few minutes. Be sure to unlock the radio first if your radio is one of those that can be theft-locked.

As far as the TPS goes, if it's 22, you may want to read the ongoing thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...15/#post177516.