Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

How much PAG oil do I add to the A/C system???

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2020, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much PAG oil do I add to the A/C system???

Greetings member! I am replacing the A/C compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube in my van. According to ProDemand, the total oil capacity of the system is 11 ounces. And the Denso OE replacement compressor comes with 8 ounces of oil in it already. However, the compressor I bought from Advance Auto Parts came with 2 ounces of oil in it. When I removed the old compressor, there was zero oil that drained out of it. Same with the accumulator, which says to drain it out, and add the amount you drained plus 2 ounces. I'm really stuck here, I have no idea how much to add, and I really don't wanna just let it be and install everything. Also, when I run my vacuum pump, will it remove the 2 ounces of oil already in the compressor?

I'd really appreciate your help, as I can't drive the van until I finish this.

Edit, I failed to mention that the old compressor has some sort of sensor on the back of it held in with a snap-ring. The new compressor has a block-off plate held in by a snap-ring, I don't think it will work unless I switch them out. Does anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by Conradish006; September 8th, 2020 at 3:55 PM. Reason: Had to mention another detail regarding the issue posted
Old September 8th, 2020, 4:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Conradish006
Greetings member! I am replacing the A/C compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube in my van. According to ProDemand, the total oil capacity of the system is 11 ounces. And the Denso OE replacement compressor comes with 8 ounces of oil in it already. However, the compressor I bought from Advance Auto Parts came with 2 ounces of oil in it. When I removed the old compressor, there was zero oil that drained out of it. Same with the accumulator, which says to drain it out, and add the amount you drained plus 2 ounces. I'm really stuck here, I have no idea how much to add, and I really don't wanna just let it be and install everything. Also, when I run my vacuum pump, will it remove the 2 ounces of oil already in the compressor?

I'd really appreciate your help, as I can't drive the van until I finish this.

Edit, I failed to mention that the old compressor has some sort of sensor on the back of it held in with a snap-ring. The new compressor has a block-off plate held in by a snap-ring, I don't think it will work unless I switch them out. Does anybody have any ideas?
Just a suggestion, only. Pull the compressor out, install the new compressor with installation instructions on pag, and refrigerant. I the new compressor says 3 onces, go with that.
Old September 8th, 2020, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Just a suggestion, only. Pull the compressor out, install the new compressor with installation instructions on pag, and refrigerant. I the new compressor says 3 onces, go with that.
Not sure entirely what you mean?
Old September 8th, 2020, 5:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Conradish006
Not sure entirely what you mean?
Evacuate the system, add whatever the system requires, be it 11 oz's or whatever Pag comes in sized can's, in other words the size of the compressor will require X pag oil. If in doubt, take it to an ac shop.