Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Idle and a/c issues.

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2023, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle and a/c issues.

Hey all

New member and Chevy owner. I have an ‘05 express 2500 and got a lot of work done to it recently to get it road worthy and safetied. Recently it’s been rough idling. So I did some digging and cleans the IAC valve. It was ok for a bit but started again. So I got a new one and it sounds good when idling.

But now with the new part when I’m idling and I turn on the ac it revs up to about 2000rpm for a few seconds and drops back down and then repeats a few seconds later.

I changed the blower motor too as I thought it was crapping out because while driving it would lose power and just trickle cold air into the cab no matter the fan setting. Then I’d turn it off and back on a while later it would kick back in and work for a while before losing power and blowing very little air in no matter the fan speed.

I’ve read online that the ac evaporator might be freezing up as I did get the ac topped up with the tune up a few weeks ago. So maybe too much Freon?
Any ideas on these issues would be a great help because if I can change things myself I’ll happily do it but I don’t want to be just throwing parts at the van for every possible solution hoping to fix it.
Thank you!

Old July 4th, 2023, 6:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by garycphotoo
Hey all

New member and Chevy owner. I have an ‘05 express 2500 and got a lot of work done to it recently to get it road worthy and safetied. Recently it’s been rough idling. So I did some digging and cleans the IAC valve. It was ok for a bit but started again. So I got a new one and it sounds good when idling.

But now with the new part when I’m idling and I turn on the ac it revs up to about 2000rpm for a few seconds and drops back down and then repeats a few seconds later.

I changed the blower motor too as I thought it was crapping out because while driving it would lose power and just trickle cold air into the cab no matter the fan setting. Then I’d turn it off and back on a while later it would kick back in and work for a while before losing power and blowing very little air in no matter the fan speed.

I’ve read online that the ac evaporator might be freezing up as I did get the ac topped up with the tune up a few weeks ago. So maybe too much Freon?
Any ideas on these issues would be a great help because if I can change things myself I’ll happily do it but I don’t want to be just throwing parts at the van for every possible solution hoping to fix it.
Thank you!
Have you checked your high and low pressures yet?
Old July 5th, 2023, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Have you checked your high and low pressures yet?
How would one go about that?
Old July 5th, 2023, 3:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by garycphotoo
How would one go about that?
You could have an auto shop check them, or use an A/C pressure gauge set to do so.