Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Ignition sticking and no start

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2024, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition sticking and no start

I have a 2011 Express 2500 with the 4.8. I have had incident happen a few times now. I go to start the van and it cranks but won't start and when I let go of the key it keeps cranking and I have to turn it back. This will happen a few times then it will start and run fine. No check engine light, no codes on scanner. Any suggestions on where to start on fixing this. Thanks for any help.
Old March 14th, 2024, 4:58 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When I've seen this in other cars it was a failing ignition switch. Especially sticking in the "start" position and failing to return to "run". The no-start can also be the switch as the contacts become worn or dirty and since it's already having problems...

You could try some lube in it to see if it'll stop sticking but it probably needs to be replaced. If you're handy you can take it apart and see what's going on inside. I haven't taken one of these apart but others I have weren't all that complex if you're used to that sort of thing.