Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Le Moose

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2017 | 8:28 PM
CF Pro Member

You are Very welcome...
and Merry Xmas and Happy New Years to you all
and Stan and every one here....
Old February 4th, 2018 | 9:18 AM
CF Veteran

Not much to report, but I thought I'd bump it back to the first page so I didn't lose it altogether.

And worse than before, I took no pics, but truthfully, it doesn't look any different. I lowered it an inch and a half, and cut it to conform with the curves at the rear door. I slid the whole assembly back, but didn't change the length , so I didn't need to change the flip up on the front. I relocated the sub-woofer (laid on it's back) to under the 3rd seat. The wiring was long enough to do this without any hassle. I had based the original bed height on the height of the sub (standing up), so that wasn't going to fit there anymore. When I go camping, the seats will come out, and the sub will slide on it's back, under the open flip up section of the bed.

With the weather not cooperating, I am mostly planning these days. I'm gathering the wood for the drawers, and still trying to figure the design for the left one. I want it to slide out like a drawer should, but i want it to be like a counter top, with a cutout for a butane stove, and have doors on the side to get some storage. The right one will be a standard drawer for tools and such.
Old February 13th, 2018 | 7:09 PM
Super Moderator

I would also like to see photos of the bed frame.

How do like the backup camera? Is the picture quality satisfactory? Where did you run the cable? The listing you posted gone, so can I ask how much you paid?

Cheers.
Old February 13th, 2018 | 9:44 PM
CF Veteran

I paid $89.00 for it, and it's good. The only issue I've had would happen to any of them, and that's spray with road salt drying and fogging the image. I've just gotten in the habit of wiping it more often after a snow.
Old February 13th, 2018 | 9:53 PM
CF Veteran

I had to switch computers for a pic of the bed frame. And it's not the best shot, but it is the only shot I have. I built it so that it just sits in there. My philosophy on stuff like this is to do as little "damage" to, in this case, the interior of the van. And so it can be removed and the seats can go back in if the need arises. This is a shot of the first version, and the only thing I did was to remove the 2X4s across the "feet", basically lowering the frame a little over an inch and a half.
Attached Thumbnails Le Moose-img_20170928_165753570.jpg  
Old February 14th, 2018 | 3:48 AM
Super Moderator

Looks very sturdy. Thanks Stan.
Old February 15th, 2018 | 9:07 AM
CF Active Member

I made my bed frame out of 1 inch cedar fencing boards and it is very sturdy, so yours will definitely be strong enough and hold up anything you want to put on it!
Old February 15th, 2018 | 5:00 PM
Super Moderator

He can get VERY rambunctious
Old February 15th, 2018 | 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Truth be told, it just needs to be strong enough to hold my fat @$$. "Rambunctious" was many years ago.

To paraphrase, and update the saying, "If this van's a'rockin', I'm havin' a stroke. call 911".
Old February 21st, 2018 | 3:15 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
Okay, last weekend I got out and made two more device mounts, one for Da Wife's IPhone, and one for my Ham portable. I don't like how the antenna sticks up from the portable, but I'll do something about that later. I need an exterior antenna, and the roof is the best place, but I can't be going up there and taking it off every time I go in to a garage. Maybe something on the drivers side fender. We'll see.
WOW I just looked at the big3500 bet she cruises nice. nice phone holders, can the ham radio connect to my boats VHS frequencys.

do you use ham to corrospond w/ friends or keep for emergency? my friend still talks to a group of lifelong friends and aquitances even some truckers on CD from car and home.

if I remember correctly when I rented a big3500 it had two giant fuel tanks?
TB