Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Lengthening chassis five feet, double slip yoke?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2023, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lengthening chassis five feet, double slip yoke?

Hi,

I have extended the chassis of my 05 Express van five feet to acommodate a covered utility bed as well as the two side doors of the van, I am finishing up the fabrication now, as well as adding 4wd brackets and components, all that's left is to fabricate the drive shaft.

So, I have taken measurements, and the drive shaft is in two pieces, with a carrier bearing in the middle, and I am lengthening the drive shaft that connects to the transfer case rear.

While I have taken full load and non suspended load length calculations for the slip yoke that is part of the drive shaft connected to the differential, the drive shaft that connects to the transfer case, also has a slip yoke (But is much larger).

The carrier bearing is housed in a sort of rubber isolation flex mount unit, but my question is, with the smaller slip yoke at the carrier bearing, and the larger one in the differential, will this create undo flex in the carrier bearing rubber mount, or will the smaller flex shaft, soak up the majority of the bumps, and not bother the larger one? Either way, it's going to likely be fabricated tomorrow, just wonder if anyone has any experience with carrier bearing mounts and double slip yokes. If I have to fabricate a sort of removable housing for the carrier bearing I can also do that, too, but it will likely be a harder(er) mount.