Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Locking Differential?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2018, 5:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Fix what? You want a locker?
Why don't you just swap a G80 axle from another van into yours?
Old February 7th, 2018, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, I want a locker. I explain why early in the thread.

But what would a used axle cost? And why would I go to the trouble of searching out a junkyard axle to replace, what is otherwise is a perfectly good, still under warranty axle? It's a two year old van. If I've ID'd the diff correctly, the locker I'm looking at is $470.00. I doubt seriously that I can find one easily, here in a Washington D.C. suburb, that would be that affordable, and not be an unknown as far as condition. Besides, a G80, while it is referred to as locking, is a limited slip.

Last edited by StanVan; February 7th, 2018 at 6:10 PM.
Old February 7th, 2018, 6:26 PM
Super Moderator

The G80 provides full mechanical lockup. Don't get too hung up on marketing lingo. It's just fine for on-street use.

$470 is just the parts cost. Installing differential carriers is not a job for shadetree mechanics. If you hire someone , you could be doubling that price, or more.

If your van is still under warranty, are you sure you want to start messing with the drivetrain? How much snow do you get? Did you try the old trick of applying a bit of brake along with the gas?
Old February 7th, 2018, 9:35 PM
CF Veteran

It was one lousy inch of snow. And while I may be "shade tree like", my circle of friends aren't.

Admittedly, this is a bit of perception issue. I just got out of my second AWD Astro in getting this van last July. Had you read the first page or so of this thread, you'd know this is seen by me as a slap in the face, going from AWD to 1 wheel drive. On Memorial Day weekend, I'll be using a private boat ramp that is fairly slimey. My Astro handled it. A buddy's Nissan didn't until he kicked in the 4WD. My Express surely won't unless I do something. It's sad that a van, known for towing capacity, doesn't have the right stuff. I won't take my boat to this event unless I can fix this.
Old February 7th, 2018, 9:49 PM
CF Veteran

So, let me try and get this train back on track.

Given the chart and picture i posted in post #73, and my revelation in post #80, is it the opinion of the court that I indeed have a GM 9.5 differential? The chart shows that the two 14 bolt diff's , and the ring gear is on opposite sides, of the two. The 9.5 and mine have that gear on the left, the drivers side. The confusing part is that my diff has a fill port, neither pics of the two 14 bolt diff's have that.
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been told the g80 is a bit light duty, and a detroit tru track is better....
Old February 9th, 2018, 3:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by StanVan
It was one lousy inch of snow. And while I may be "shade tree like", my circle of friends aren't.

Admittedly, this is a bit of perception issue. I just got out of my second AWD Astro in getting this van last July. Had you read the first page or so of this thread, you'd know this is seen by me as a slap in the face, going from AWD to 1 wheel drive. On Memorial Day weekend, I'll be using a private boat ramp that is fairly slimey. My Astro handled it. A buddy's Nissan didn't until he kicked in the 4WD. My Express surely won't unless I do something. It's sad that a van, known for towing capacity, doesn't have the right stuff. I won't take my boat to this event unless I can fix this.
I hear ya, buddy. My previous vehicle was an AWD Astro. I loved it, and I would still be driving it if it hadn't been hit. It was a BEAST in the snow. That's why I knew I had to get a Savana with AWD.

Anyway, as someone said the service guys at your dealership will have your answer. If you don't want to talk to them, I guess you could just open up the diff and see for yourself. It should be a 2 to 3 beer job.

But I'm surprised your traction control didn't kick in to help with the wheel spin.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; February 9th, 2018 at 3:44 PM.
Old February 9th, 2018, 3:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I have been told the g80 is a bit light duty, and a detroit tru track is better....
It is more than enough for the boat ramp. If you don't hammer the throttle like a redneck, it will last as long as the vehicle.
Old February 12th, 2018, 7:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STAN you sure have been busy since I have not been around... lol
can you please explain that for me again.... LMAO.
Old February 13th, 2018, 8:49 AM
CF Veteran

I worry about you, Ron.

But at last I have the answer. A dude over at Vandweller works at a Chevy dealer, and offered to run my VIN, and my suspicions were correct, I have a GM 9.5 diff.