Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

looking to buy - please chime in

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2012, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy - please chime in

Hi guys.
I'm going tomorrow night to see a 2004 cutaway with a 6.0 V8 in it. it has approximately 125000 miles on the clock.
I'm pretty good with cars and I have reasonable expectations when it comes to used vehicles, but I wanted to know if there are any specific problems with these vans. ConsumerReports indicates the transmission, and the electrical system as problematic, but it's always better to hear from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
a
Old March 21st, 2012, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2004 3500 6.0L cutaway van as an RV. It has a little over 62K miles. And for the most part, trouble free.

~ Factory had installed a wrong configured fuel pump (if you drove until fumes, the pump would overheat and then shut off). Replaced under warranty

~ Battery & tires replaced at 57K (6 years)

~ Idler, Bracket, & Pitman Steering Arms replaced at 58K

~ Passenger side, fwd O2 Sensor replaced at 61K

~ At 61K also experienced transmission 2-3 shift solenoid failure (Code: P0758). Turned out to be the ignition switch which was intermittent, and was on the verge of total failure. (Note that this series of vans are noted to have weak ignition switches. For 'total failure' of the ignition switch, info here GM truck bad ign. switch)).

All in all, a great truck with very little problems thus far.
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you PitCrew.
That doesn't sound scary at all. In fact it's minimal. And thanks for bringing up the ignition switch problem. Those kind of gremlins can be pretty time consuming to trace and fix.
I'm sure this truck is gonna be a bit different though, since it's a working vehicle.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted by PitCrew
I have a 2004 3500 6.0L cutaway van as an RV. It has a little over 62K miles. And for the most part, trouble free.

~ Factory had installed a wrong configured fuel pump (if you drove until fumes, the pump would overheat and then shut off). Replaced under warranty

~ Battery & tires replaced at 57K (6 years)

~ Idler, Bracket, & Pitman Steering Arms replaced at 58K

~ Passenger side, fwd O2 Sensor replaced at 61K

~ At 61K also experienced transmission 2-3 shift solenoid failure (Code: P0758). Turned out to be the ignition switch which was intermittent, and was on the verge of total failure. (Note that this series of vans are noted to have weak ignition switches. For 'total failure' of the ignition switch, info here GM truck bad ign. switch)).

All in all, a great truck with very little problems thus far.
Old May 11th, 2012, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Chiming in a few months late, perhaps, but here is my $.02.
Never had a cutaway, but have driven perhaps 1/2 dozen '06 on vans for work, and now own a long wheelbase passenger.

The are darn good rigs in my opinion. Mine was very low miles (37,500 when I bought) I have seen these with 600K miles (no kidding). Trans do seem to wear, eventually. Stock tires finally replaced at 70K. Replaced with OEM stock Bridgestone R265. VERY confortable ride, and awesome tread life.

Read these forums to pick up little tidbits but overall I feel Chevy hit a home run with these vans.

Nick