Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Motor swap

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2010, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap

Hey guys. I have a 2004 express with the 4.8. I kick myself all the time for not upgrading to the 6.0.
Due to increased trailer towing weights I require the 6.0 motor.

What I am wanting to do is get a 6.0 from a 2006 savana from the slavage yard and put it in my van.

1. will this be simple? I'm thinking is should be fairly easy. Being from another van all the plugs should be the same. I know the burbs and p/u are not the same as the vans. Your thoguhts?

2.will the current computer work with the larger motor and everything work correctly. Being the 6.0 has a lower max hp rpm point will there be an issue
Old October 4th, 2010, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been told the Gen III motors have an infinitely tuneable ECU-- for the Corvettes they can get in with laptop software and adjust fuel curve, ignition advance/retard, governor, rpm ceiling, etc., all with the stock computer. But dyno/software tuning can be expensive-- 500+ bucks. They have to hook up the tailpipe sniffers or hook up to your O2 sensors and run it on the dyno to get the right air/fuel mixture under load. It may be easier/cheaper to go with the stock 6.0 computer, especially if you can buy it from the same van/same salvage yard as a deal.

Last edited by hfl67; October 4th, 2010 at 8:04 AM.