Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Need advice on suspension upgrades for towing

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on suspension upgrades for towing

I have a '99 Express conversion 5.0/305. I added a tow hitch. I am going to hauling a 10,000 GVW enclosed railer to tow a muscle car to the dragstrip. The ball is 2-5/16. The van did not come with a towing package. I am debating if it's worth upgrading to 2500 parts ( 5 or 6-lug) all around or to maybe 3500. There are some at the local boneyard, but I need to know if I really need to do this, or do I just need some helper springs a rear sway bar, some air bags, (obviously an electric brake gizmo on the dash), etc. Is that 1500 capable of towing a 4000 lb car + 2000 lbs trailer?

The trailer is an old '77 or '78 Wells Cargo with 14.5 tires that I hear are very heavy duty, and the brakes are 12-inc eelctric.

Also, the Van has only 77,000 miles, a god engine and trans. I have to replace all the front steering parts and the tires, because the steering/suspension parts IMHO on these vans suck after 40,00 miles. Anything over 40 and the wheel has to be constanly turned to compensate for wind, road crown etc. it really blows. So I want to know soon I can make a decision, so I buy the right parts, tires and possible wheels etc. I want to do it all at one time as it's my daily driver

An alternative is to just find a donor van of the same year...I am looking for advice here.

Also, Is there a Chevy/GMC sawp guide anywhere on the Net?

Thanks,
--SteveMc
Old March 21st, 2009, 2:26 PM
CF Veteran

Smile van go!

my first question is how long are you going to tow this rig ? shure you can do it ,it's done every day but it's a big strain on the brake's and wheel bearings . to do it safely you will need the correct tow equipment ,hitch weight distributing hitch ,sway bar for the trailer . trans cooler if not already equipped ,correct tire's shocks ,sway bars ,air bag's ect.a lot to spend if only for a short time and be safe ! mileage is a concern 1/2 ton would be great but 3/4 or 1 ton better.buy your last van first !!!!!!!! so0me time's you can trade up to some body getting out of the heavy haul mode .and save some money .
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Old Dog,

For now I just want to tow my trailer/car about 75 miles each way to Byron DragStrip in Wisconsin. Once or twice a month during the summer.

I already have purchased or have:
1. Most steering related components: tie rods, draglink, ilder arms.
2. I have used Airbags
3. New Monroe Gas-matic shocks
4. Trailer hitch, trailer light hookup

What I may need if I am going to tow is:
4. Sway bar
5. Better brakes, which I would replace by:
a) Looking to see if there are factory heavy-duty 5-lug parts available. I.E. Did Chevy/GMC have towing packages for 1500 series Vans using 5 lugs axles/rotors, or do I need to goto 6-lug parts from a 2500 series..?
b) Find junkyard 6-lugs parts off of a similar
c) Find a donor vehicle that has all the parts I need and swap wha I need in.
6) Trans cooler: I can find a junkyard part or install a new one.
6) New tires - that's about $400 to $500 for good tires that are meant for towing. I have to buy these anyway.

I like my Van, it's in very good shape. I don't want to buy another vehicle as I only drive my Van 5000 miles a year....it's a '99 with 72,000 miles. It runs great and the trans only has 40,000 miles on it. Even if I don't use it as a tow vehicle, I am going fix the steering issues, add new tires, and shocks anyways. I am just trying to make a plan to spend the least amount and I do the work myself, which I enjoy.

I don't know much at all about towing, so you gave me some things to think about.

Regards,
--Steve
Old March 22nd, 2009, 8:07 PM
CF Veteran

Default 1500

no problem steve ,just don't get in a hurry it el cost you money .i don't think there is any way of changing spindle's to get the heaver brakes and bearing's but if you are careful you would be surprised what you can get away with .just use good part's and keep an eye on thing's regularly ,you should be fine .my ole man used a 1940 1/2 ton truck with very few modifications as a 25 ft tandem Axel trailer pulling truck for about 25 year's. good luck .