Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Need to learn a lot about the van

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2010, 4:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to learn a lot about the van

So this van is my first domestic vehicle ever and I want to do a lot of work on it, but I realised how different it is from the vehicles I'm used to work on.

My first question would be, what the hell a TBI system is? When I bought the van I thought it was carbed, althought I didn't understand at first why it had an electrical fuel pump in it..just to find out a few weeks later that the van have an ECU.. so now I am really lost. And don't be afraid of going into a very technical explanation, I completely understand how a EFI or carbed system works, just the mix of the two is confusing me.

Also the van randomly sputtered (wouldn't go over 350rpm) and was smoking black very bad. I had to stop it and let the pump prime before I had a few seconds of life out of the engine. Only happenned once tho, so I am probably going to do the usual fuel filter/spark plug and wires maintenance just to be sure, but I would like to know what the TBI really control and what can typically go wrong with it.

I think that this is it for now, the best thing for me would be to find a FSM from chevrolet, is there any online? or I should try my luck on ebay?

thanks for the help!
Old October 11th, 2010, 9:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get if off Ebay, I bought one for $12 American.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 5:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shop manual

2003 Chevy Express 3500

3 volume set
#
GMT/03-G6-2
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

TBI means Throttle Body Injection. Basically it's a central injector that they placed where the carb usually goes. GM used this from the late 80's into the late 90's. It's got it's problems but for the most part is pretty easy to work on.

As far as the black smoke and sputtering, you'll have to narrow it down some before you can start deciding what it is. If the maintenance of the vehicle is unknown then a fuel filter, plugs, wires, etc would be a good idea to get a starting point.

I would also run some injector cleaner through the system and also look for vacuum leaks.

Good luck with your new van. I love mine!
Old October 29th, 2020, 12:15 AM
Banned

I love to read this kind of methods and beautiful cookings ideas which can make our holidays more beautiful with our family though and I was also looking for some kind of energy with reading and writing so I ask someone to help me do my homework in an easy and perfect way without wasting too much time to think who to buy it for.