Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

new to forum, just got my first van

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2010, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to forum, just got my first van

well i just picked up a 1990 g20 van with an american conversion, whatever that is. Basically it's just a cargo van with some captain's chairs and a bed liner-like interior. It's pretty clean and the body is straight. It has a 350 and a 4 speed overdrive tranny (700r4 i assume?). The van has about 278k on it, but the tranny is new and the motor is still really strong. There's a little howling and vibration coming from the rear, so i think maybe the diff needs work, or the wheels/driveshaft need balancing. It also pulls a little to the right when i hit the brakes an it handles a little loose, so i think it needs some brake work and/or tie rod ends/ball joints.
The overall plan for this van is to make an A-team replica to take out camping, and to mountain bike races. I have a small business and i think it'd be a great way to draw a crowd to my booth when i'm selling stuff.
I also need to order the lower vallance, a sun visor, wing, and the rest of the body kit. The wheels might be hard to get so i was just thinking of getting something a little more modern for it for now. It also needs weatherstripping for the doors BADLY.

Before:
Name:  P4231186.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  123.3 KB
Hopefully after:

Last edited by vanimal; April 23rd, 2010 at 9:10 PM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 95 Chevy G-20 with 205,000 miles, also in white. I wonder how much the previous owner paid for that paint job, looks great. These vans run 4ever, 278k miles is nothing my friend.

I also had that noise with my differential a few years ago, it was one of my most expensive repairs ever on my van(have owned it for 10 yrs)$1,500 for a new rear end. Neglected to change the oil in it.

Weatherstripping is also an issue with my van also, especially on the back and side doors.
Old April 30th, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vantasy1
I have a 95 Chevy G-20 with 205,000 miles, also in white. I wonder how much the previous owner paid for that paint job, looks great. These vans run 4ever, 278k miles is nothing my friend.

I also had that noise with my differential a few years ago, it was one of my most expensive repairs ever on my van(have owned it for 10 yrs)$1,500 for a new rear end. Neglected to change the oil in it.

Weatherstripping is also an issue with my van also, especially on the back and side doors.
THe paint job is pretty poor, it's a single stage paint that was probably done at macco or earl sheibs for a few hundred bucks. It is getting repainted soon (with the a-team van color scheme).
I just went through and did a bunch of work to it, and she runs much better now. I changed the rear wheel bearings and fluid so the noise went away, i adjusted the front wheel bearings, and changed the idler arm. That really made the van handle MUCH better. I also threw some new tires and wheels on it, along with some new seats, carpet, a stereo system, and i'm welding up a bench seat that folds out into a bed as we speak.
As for the weatherstripping, check this link: http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Weatherstri...SK00174/260176
seems to be the cheapest i've found so far.
Old May 6th, 2010, 2:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the link for the weatherstripping,I will look into it. Had my brake master cylinder replaced today as well as a rear brake line. My mechanic had a hard time finding the master cylinder, told me I was his only customer who has a 95 Chevy G-20,so I asked him if he had customers with a 95 Ford or Dodge van, he said nope.

I had my A/C compressor replaced recently and that part was also hard to find for my vehicle. Maybe it's time to find another mechanic? I am not the only one out there with a 95 Chevy G-20,sure I would love to own a late model Express or Savanna, but my insurance would triple and I would have to find off street parking as my driveway is only 17ft in length. The shortest base model of the Express is about 2 ft longer then my driveway,it's narrow so that eliminates parking at an angle.

I only put on about 5-7k miles a year. I use the van for a side business(small moving and deliveries). Same engine since I bought it used back in 1999, had the tranny 5 yrs ago, van runs great, biggest issue is rust/rot and having a hard time finding replacement parts(as my mechanic says).
Old May 7th, 2010, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by vantasy1
Thanks for the link for the weatherstripping,I will look into it. Had my brake master cylinder replaced today as well as a rear brake line. My mechanic had a hard time finding the master cylinder, told me I was his only customer who has a 95 Chevy G-20,so I asked him if he had customers with a 95 Ford or Dodge van, he said nope.

I had my A/C compressor replaced recently and that part was also hard to find for my vehicle. Maybe it's time to find another mechanic? I am not the only one out there with a 95 Chevy G-20,sure I would love to own a late model Express or Savanna, but my insurance would triple and I would have to find off street parking as my driveway is only 17ft in length. The shortest base model of the Express is about 2 ft longer then my driveway,it's narrow so that eliminates parking at an angle.

I only put on about 5-7k miles a year. I use the van for a side business(small moving and deliveries). Same engine since I bought it used back in 1999, had the tranny 5 yrs ago, van runs great, biggest issue is rust/rot and having a hard time finding replacement parts(as my mechanic says).
I dunno, it seems like every part is readily avalable from any of the big chain auto parts stores, and for pretty cheap. Brake boosters are about $117. It's basically just a chevy truck with a small block, so not sure what's so special about them. I'd probably look for a new mechanic, unless he isnt charging you much.
Old May 8th, 2010, 7:41 AM
CF Junior Member

I agree, and I live in NYC, it's not like I am living in a small town far away from everything. His prices are reasonable and I know that time is money for him. He has other vehicles to repair also. The van isn't hard to work on for him, just trying to find certain parts is.

He showed me 3 different brake master cylinders that he said weren't the right ones for my van. This could also be an auto parts wholesaler screw up. The drivers side window regulator I bought myself online, my mechanic advised me to go to a junkyard...he must think that all of the parts for my van can be easily found over there,lol
Old September 4th, 2010, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I can't wait to see your A-team van scheme!

Don't forget to post pictures when you get it done