Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

no interior lights O/C doors

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2013, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no interior lights O/C doors

Hi folks,new guy here.
i have a 2009 chev express 2500 and my interior light won't come on when opening the door(s).
I can turn on the cab light using the manual brightness **** down buy the headlight switch,also I checked the cab light which there is only one bulb which so I know that it's not the bulb otherwise it should come on.
Had a trusted mechanic check it out and on his diagnostics machine its says the door is open when it is actually closed.
Came to the conclusion that it was the BCM,which after 400.00 it is still doing the thing same.
All headlights,dashlights,signals ect work.
he's puzzled and I am also.
Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.
Old October 8th, 2013, 5:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the cargo vans have a switch that disables the interior lights when the doors are open. (This is so when you are working at a job site you don't kill the battery). Anyhow it could be a problem with that switch?
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a bad door pin switch. Take one out, and bypass it. If the light comes on, then it is the switch.
Old October 9th, 2013, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys,my mechanic who use to work for GM had also checked the door switches, bypassed the door switches,checked grounds ect,also his tester says when door(s) is closed,that it is open.
Perhaps one of the GM mechanics in Edmonton can pin point it where it will only cost an hours labour as that BCM cost quite a bit,funny the chev dealer here who changed that out didn't even check to see if that fixed the interior lights,he said that I only asked to have the module changed out and not to see if that fixed the lights.
Let's see you put in the module and you either close or open the door and look at the light to see if it comes on.
That's the head of service here in Athabasca AB,no wonder I buy my vehicles out of the city,perhaps they don't like you taking your vehicle anywhere but to them.
Shouldn't have mentioned my very honest mechanic,my mechanic never charged me a cent for trying to hunt down the problem and I'm sure there were a few hours, anyway enough of my little rant,thanks again guys,if I get this figured out I'll be sure to post this mystery.
Old October 22nd, 2013, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

PROBLEM SOLVED,took the van to the city to the GM dealer their(Southgate Pontiac).
It seem that the plastic cover that surrounds the **** that controls the dash lights for dimming and also turning on the interior lights manually IS THE SWITCH.the guy who received the van asked the problem and he opened the van door and of course nothing happened,then he pushed the top of the plastic cover(which looks like part of the dash)which looks like it holds the **** in place and whalla,showtime.
So if anybody else has this problem with the interior lights not coming on when you open any door its the square looking plastic cover that looks like it holds the **** in place.
The following users liked this post:
JayAinley (October 24th, 2022)
Old October 23rd, 2013, 5:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coverall
PROBLEM SOLVED,took the van to the city to the GM dealer their(Southgate Pontiac).
It seem that the plastic cover that surrounds the **** that controls the dash lights for dimming and also turning on the interior lights manually IS THE SWITCH.the guy who received the van asked the problem and he opened the van door and of course nothing happened,then he pushed the top of the plastic cover(which looks like part of the dash)which looks like it holds the **** in place and whalla,showtime.
So if anybody else has this problem with the interior lights not coming on when you open any door its the square looking plastic cover that looks like it holds the **** in place.

That's exactly the switch I was talking about.