Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Oil Pressure Light On

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2019, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Light On

2004 Chevy Express 3500 w/ 6.0 motor and 81K miles.

I'm looking at buying, it' actually a cutaway box truck

Oil light is on and reads 40 PSI when cold.

I would have expected it to be higher than 40 with only 81K on it. Should the light even be on if reading 40?

The vehicle is not local and I haven't been out to see it yet. Just doing some preliminary checking out photos/videos the owner has provided.

It's priced cheap and I would have no problem having to put money into it.

I will get an inspection done this week, but wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this?

Old March 31st, 2019, 3:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I think you need to check the oil level. The ABS light is something else you might address the seller to.
Old March 31st, 2019, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
I think you need to check the oil level. The ABS light is something else you might address the seller to.
Yes, aware of the ABS light. I'm just more concerned over the oil.

I already messaged them and asked them to check the oil level.
Old March 31st, 2019, 3:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I THINK, that's oil level, but not sure.
Old March 31st, 2019, 5:35 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out, it is a change oil light / not low pressure.

Last edited by Roger1; March 31st, 2019 at 7:35 PM.
Old September 12th, 2020, 8:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am getting that light coming on in my 2004 with the 6.0 for about 2 minutes after I start the van. Does it normally go out on its own like this? The manual doesn't say that it does.
Old September 21st, 2020, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SteveROntario
I am getting that light coming on in my 2004 with the 6.0 for about 2 minutes after I start the van. Does it normally go out on its own like this? The manual doesn't say that it does.
Steve, I was baffled by the same issue on my 2006 with the 6.0. Oil light coming on a minute or so upon start-up despite pressure looking OK. Turns out these vans have the computer tell you when it thinks it's time to change the oil, and that's the signal. Google for the re-set key dance and I'll bet that takes care of it.
Old September 21st, 2020, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

When the oil light comes on after startup for about 2 minutes, that's the oil change reminder. You can reset this by turning the ignition to run without starting it, and immediately pressing the gas pedal 3 times within the first 5 seconds. The oil light should flash to let you know that it has been reset.

When the light is flashing, that means that the oil level is low. The computer can determine this via an oil level sensor on the passenger side of the oil pan. If the light is flashing, STOP! DO NOT drive the vehicle until you have added more oil! It can cause severe damage to your engine to drive this way.
Old September 21st, 2020, 3:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you for the confirmation guys. The manual did not mention that it will turn off on its own. I'm getting the oil pan gasket changed this week so it'll get an oil change with that. I just don't have the time to keep up with things right now.