Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Outside temp display?

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2018, 5:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silent_20
Does your van display the ambient temperature on the DIC?
No not on the DIC, only through the Torque app.
Old October 25th, 2018, 8:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My Torque PID is for "Ambient Temp". I'm gonna look for "Air Temp".
Old October 27th, 2018, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My van displays only the compass. If I am reading all of the responses correctly, if I buy the temp sensor it will not work without a reflash which most likely a dealer will not do?
Old October 27th, 2018, 3:20 PM
CF Veteran

You may have the sensor. The reflash, that the dealer won't do would make it show on the DIC. But an OBD2 Bluetooth device with the Torque app will do the job.

BTW, I was wrong. The PID I have IS "Air Temp". I don't know why I thought it was Ambient Temp.
Old October 31st, 2018, 10:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Upload
I got the new sensor. This is what I'm getting. I selected outside temp from the GM pid. I don't know if it's supposed to be blank.

Finally got the image to upload.

Last edited by silent_20; October 31st, 2018 at 1:57 PM.
Old October 31st, 2018, 2:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silent_20
I got the new sensor. This is what I'm getting. I selected outside temp from the GM pid. I don't know if it's supposed to be blank.
I can't add attachments on phone. How do you add pictures. I have the picture in my album.
Hi, the way I get pictures from my android phone to my laptop is to email them from my phone to my laptop email address, then I can grab them and put in the forum.
Old October 31st, 2018, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Twscarp
Hi, the way I get pictures from my android phone to my laptop is to email them from my phone to my laptop email address, then I can grab them and put in the forum.
I was using the add attachment instead of image. When I was doing it I didn't see the add image icon.
Old October 31st, 2018, 9:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteVan
I recall seeing a thread somewhere that described how to add an outside temp display to a later model Express via a cable/temp sensor and some interaction with the van's computer. Anyone have any ideas on this? My van is a 2015.
Do you know what I think? Follow the advice that I was too ignorant to accept when I wanted the compass. Just buy a rear view mirror with the temperature display and wire it to a thermostat.

Old November 1st, 2018, 9:58 AM
CF Veteran

I was hoping the OBD Bluetooth device would show everything I wanted. But because I'm a cheap b@%tard, I got one with a lesser version software. When (if?) I win the lottery, I'll step up. But for now, I'll settle for what I have. Torque does have the PIDs I want, like TPMS (pressure AND temperature!), and a dial compass (easier to read). Until then.....
Old November 1st, 2018, 10:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
I was hoping the OBD Bluetooth device would show everything I wanted. But because I'm a cheap b@%tard, I got one with a lesser version software. When (if?) I win the lottery, I'll step up. But for now, I'll settle for what I have. Torque does have the PIDs I want, like TPMS (pressure AND temperature!), and a dial compass (easier to read). Until then.....
What do you want it to show?

Quick Reply: Outside temp display?