Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Parking Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2018, 3:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake Issue

2011 Express 1500 AWD
My parking brake hardly works at all. No way will this stop the vehicle. Is there an adjustment for that? The dealer just recently put new brakes and rotors all the way around. I guess they didn't check that.
Didn't see any youtubes for this model year.
Thanks.

Last edited by jampg; October 30th, 2018 at 7:42 PM. Reason: change
Old October 30th, 2018, 4:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

The parking brakes on these vans are awful. I always carry chocks with me. They are supposed to adjust automatically, but always fail to do so. Mine failed before 30k.

There is a mini drum brake inside the rear brake rotor which holds the vehicle. There is a parking brake lining that wears down, and a toothed wheel for adjusting the clearance, which is supposed to be exactly 26 thousandths of an inch (just barely grabbing). It always seizes up with rust. When you replace the lining (which comes with a whole shoe), just buy the whole hardware kit so that it self-adjusts properly again. It's less than 20 bucks at Rock Auto.
Old October 30th, 2018, 7:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good advice. I hope to remember that.
Old October 30th, 2018, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 114,000 miles. Should I plan on a new shoe along with the hardware kit?
Thanks.
Old October 30th, 2018, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

That depends. I would start by manually adjusting the clearance. While you're in there you can check on the condition of the parts.

If you're local auto parts store sells them at a reasonable price, then sure pick them up so you have them on hand in case you have to rebuild. If you don't need it you can return it.