Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

power door conversion

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2021, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default power door conversion

is it possible to buy two doors from a van with power everything and add it to a manual window truck?has anyone done this??
Old September 14th, 2021, 11:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did a power lock conversion using this kit:
Amazon Amazon

Wasn't too bad. I had to splice to some wire in for the rear doors, but now I got keyless. Factory is probably going to be higher quality
Old September 15th, 2021, 12:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Depends on the year and the options. The 2002 and prior vans have an additional harness added that runs across under the dash from side to side and connects into the fuse panel and a ground point. On 96-02 it's very hard to remove - I pulled one and to get it out required dropping the column and unbolting the brake booster from the pedal bracket. On 1995-back it's not as bad to remove but it helps to pull the dash pad out. On the 95-back this harness also has the relay for the locks.

I installed the power windows on a 95 van and a 1989 Suburban, both were similar and it was mostly plug and play. I found you did not have to remove the dash pad in the van you installed them into, also.

The 97 or so I took apart I sold the parts to someone else. I don't know how hard it was to install. I do know it was a bear to try to remove the power lock wiring for the side and rear doors, and on those doors you needed to remove the latches to get ones with the power lock mechanism. It's much easier to run the wires for lock solenoids on the 95 and older, and you just need the solenoids, rods, wires and boot from door to body, there are already dimples or holes to mount the solenoids and all the latches have the right ears.

I assume 2003-up are similar to 97-02 but I have not messed with them.

What I do know is for 97-02 if it has cruise and tilt factory installed it may already have the wiring for power windows - the reverse is true, those with power windows have the wiring for cruise. I think that also applies up to when the controls move to the steering wheel in 2007 or so. One of the 2002s I had was a stripper but it appeared to still have fuses for power windows.

So bottom line you'll have to examine your vehicle to determine what it already has and go from there.
Old September 23rd, 2021, 1:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default power windows

so it seems that it has to do with the body harness,however getting the correct part number for said harness is the trick.08 chevy express option code a31 power windows au0 power locks and de5 mirrors.can anyone figure out the correct body harness number?
Old September 24th, 2021, 1:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Beats me, I just go to the you pull yard find one with power windows and yank it out of there.

By the way I picked up a service parts catalog for G vans for 1990 and it has exploded view diagrams with part numbers for virtually everything, including power window parts. I would presume if you can find one for your model year, or within a year or two, it will have the same information.