Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

power windows and door locks

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014 | 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default power windows and door locks

Hey guys I'm new here, first post. I have a 2003 express 3500 6.0 cargo van. 330xxx miles, blown motor. Recently bought a totalled 2006 3500 with 97xxx miles on it. Planning to swap the motor and trans into the 03. The 06 also has power locks and windows and was wondering if anyone has swapped these as well or knows if it is at all possible? Thanks in advance for any help
Old March 9th, 2014 | 8:50 PM
CF Veteran

Can you swap the doors?....if not then you should be able to cut open a 06 door and copy all the parts over. Everything should bolt in, but you may have to buy or fabricate some connection points.
The wiring should be fairly easy too since the harness should be already there in your van tucked away somewhere.
From there, I would have an aftermarket alarm installed, then you can easily connect the door locks to the alarm for keyless entry.
Old March 10th, 2014 | 12:15 AM
CF Active Member

if the 03 is a plain cargo van, then there most likely won't be any extra harnesses for the windows/doors/etc. I added cruise and power locks to mine and everything had to be done from scratch. There was nothing there already.

But I am sure it can be done, find the pinouts of all the wiring and wire it up yourself.
Old March 10th, 2014 | 5:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies. What yr was the one you added the power options to? And one other thing? Could we swap the theft lock radio from the 06 to the 03?
Old March 10th, 2014 | 9:15 AM
CF Active Member

Mine is an '06.

It should be easy enough to swap the radio out, but I think you would need to have it programmed at the dealer to work in the other van. There are a bunch of "fixes" on the net showing how to get around this though. it involves tearing apart the radio and removing a little part inside. something like that.
Old March 10th, 2014 | 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Alright that sounds easy enough. Not sure I'm going to go through the hassle with the locks and windows....see how I feel about it after the engine and trans are in
Old March 10th, 2014 | 5:22 PM
CF Active Member

i didn"t mean to scare you, you might have all the wiring there for the locks and windows. In my experience though, if it is a plain cargo van, the wiring won't be there. It is worth a look though.

Here are a couple things to try on the radio if you get there. Again, I don't know if it will fit, but I am *guessing* it will.

Unlock GM Theftlock Radio’s
Unlock Newer GM Theftlock Radio
Old March 10th, 2014 | 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Not scared...just wondering if it's worth it.... I'd like to keep them so my kids believe me when I tell them we used to have to crank windows up and down