Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Project Truck

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2021, 9:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Project Truck

This is a new and improved version of what I did last time. It's all in the details I guess. The middle bay can carry a ten foot extension plank, or as per the original idea... that is where four foot wide sheets up to ten foot in length can stand on edge making them easier for one guy to pull out and work with.

I get to store lengths of material and levels without really hampering space.

I have fourteen slots for 8' material.

Sound! I finally found a spot for my amplifiers. This is way over kill. 14 channels in this picture alone. 150 Watts per channel, 2 channels at 250 Watts (the red old school amp). Something like that anyways.

An additional two channels for sub-woofers should I install them. 600W a piece. The square compartment where the spray bottle is will either be used for a computer or an inverter (if I find one small and strong enough to fit in there).

Last edited by dberladyn; July 7th, 2021 at 9:56 AM.
Old July 7th, 2021, 1:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Make Sense?

The floor will be all one height for the full width all the way to the doghouse, and solid to boot. I will put a pull out / flip-able false-floor in the centre that can double as a ramp, slide-out work bench, mitre-saw stand etc. The two small pockets in the rear behind the wheel wells I have open as I haven't decided on the space yet. It might be best to leave them open and stand my stilts and other longish tools up in there for easy access to them.

Last edited by dberladyn; July 7th, 2021 at 1:56 PM.
Old July 8th, 2021, 7:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

That is awesome - good work!! I’ve seen false floors in these before but using the downspouts as dividers is a great idea.

Only disadvantage I see is things sliding forward as you drive - you might need to make a small shepards hook out of some #9 wire to use for retrieval.
Old July 8th, 2021, 10:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Yeah, I had that problem the first time around with the first build. For the most part, it is not an issue as the material is 8' lengths. My four foot level had a bad habit of sliding forwards, but this time I finally cut a block of styro-foam to use as a stopper. Failing that, a vacuum hose shoved up there hopefully can retrieve whatever is lost. My original idea this time around was to have remove-able stops upfront near the seats, but in the heat of the heatwave here somehow that idea was lost.

Thanks for your good words regardless.

Deck the Halls with 3/4" Plywood.

The fuse box is going to be re-built and it will be inside the centre square between the seats.

I am happy with it, it is solid. I might reinforce at the side doors here a little, but it's solid and FLAT.

Old July 8th, 2021, 10:38 AM
CF Pro Member

I want to build either a flip down step, or a slide out step, so that it is still easy to step inside the van. I would much rather have the floor extend to the door for full interior width like I have, than to have to step wells for items to fall into.
Old July 8th, 2021, 10:48 AM
CF Pro Member

The centre slide-out part of the floor might be need to re-thought and rebuilt.

It's not strong enough for a ramp, but it fills the whole nicely. It works.

Last edited by dberladyn; July 8th, 2021 at 10:50 AM.
Old July 8th, 2021, 6:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Well, the sound is awesome. I hooked up two amps and six speakers just temporarily though a cheap bluetooth device that I had on hand. It sounds really good. I don't know what I think I am going to do with the rest of the 10 channels available, but I suppose better to have more than not enough. Newer computers and audio equipment is 7.1 or 9.2 or whatever. I suppose I will go that route. I am probably going to dedicate a channel just to bluetooth phonecalls. One for myself, and one for a passenger. If there are any channels left over I will probably put a stereo output to the back doors. Open the doors for outside music. If I still have any channels left over maybe I put an external speaker hooked up to a microphone. Call out those pedestrians.
Old July 8th, 2021, 6:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

leave one for cat-calls
Old July 8th, 2021, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The progress looks good, I can't wait to see how it will turn out. By the way, you may want to check 4WheelOnline in case you need a couple of aftermarket parts and accessories for this vehicle.

So what's next after this?

Last edited by stinetalk; July 14th, 2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old July 9th, 2021, 9:48 AM
CF Pro Member

What's next? I don't know. I seem to be really good at breaking things. Especially anything to do with a computer, tablet, sound, navigation system for this truck.

Last night I thought I had everything to mickey mouse some kind of built in computer. Then while swapping one cpu/motherboard for a better one, I put my elbow down for balance right on top of a bare $400 very high resolution 8" lcd panel that was bought and kept stored for this truck. It's always something when it comes to whatever is to be my headunit.

I change my mind so much that the only thing it really affects is my wallet as my wallet holds up the build. Getting a working computer in there is next. I had an old motherboard/cpu working just fine last night, but I needed wifi, a better audio card, and a better blah blah. Then I broke the LCD. I didn't want to use it permanently anyways.

This is the computer power supply I am using. It works like a charm.

https://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX

Truthfully, I don't even need a PC anymore most likely. I can just use a phone / tablet that connects to the sound system via bluetooth. I just wanted it for customizing built in cameras, a proper keyboard / office type set up, perhaps music storage and I wanted to tinker with interfacing to the trucks controls. Door locks, interior lights, windows, etc. I wanted it for playing with.

I'd like my rear windows on servos. Push a button they open kind of thing.

Last edited by dberladyn; July 9th, 2021 at 10:08 AM.