Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Quality of express van

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2020, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality of express van

Hello I'm new to any kind of forums so I'm hoping I do this right. I'm looking at a 97 express with over 200 thousand miles on it and was wondering if it's worth getting and/or are there any problems mechanically I should look out for? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old January 13th, 2020, 1:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 670 Likes on 608 Posts

Is it worth it? How on earth do we know. I don't see a price, the condition, or the service history. I don't make a judgement on a vehicle until I look it over completely with my eyeballs, shake some parts with my hands, and take it for a test drive.

You're talking about a vehicle that's almost a quarter of a century old, and with close to a quarter million miles. Personally I don't touch vehicles more than 8 years old and with more than 100,000mi, because I know that that's when things start to fall apart and costing money. Your standards might be different. Your budget may be different.

You don't mention what your situation and expectations are. Is it a daily driver, a business truck, a weekend toy etc.

Now if your buddy is selling it to you for a case of beer, and it's been sitting covered in a barn, has no rust and it's been babied, documented, and never towed, or it has a new transmission, and you plan to take it out occasionally on weekends then sure maybe it's worth it.

Mechanical problems to look out for ... with that many miles ... probably everything.

Did you look at all the other vans in your area that are in your budget, and decide that this dinosaur is the best thing your money can buy?