Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Rear Heat - Worth Having?

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2021, 1:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear Heat - Worth Having?

I am on van rebuilt #346...

I have everything torn out, and I am again attempting to set up my truck to my satisfaction (for work). I just get too stupid. Keep it simple. I make a plan and change it before I get anything done.

Anyways, my friend bought a Chevrolet Express Bus and converted it into a camper/motorhome. He took out the rear heat (from the engine coolant) and gave it to me. He didn't want it.

Now I am kind of back and forth as to whether I want to install this time around. I would need to buy hoses. I told him that he should give his, but he's too lazy to pull them out. He's got them capped with no issues, so he figures he's good.

He should pull the hoses I would think. He's running a risk of springing a leak all the way at the back in hoses that do not actually do anything anymore. Anyways...

THINK SEATTLE WEATHER

Is rear heat worth it? It might be beneficial for me in the Winter heat my tools, thaw pails of water and material that have frozen. They sit right where I would put the heater, but I don't really know if it is worth installing or not.

It's free, but like I said I need hoses.
Old June 25th, 2021, 10:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

If it's anything like my 2002, you can eliminate the rear heat with a $15 hose from the parts store for vans without rear heat, that runs from the front heater core to the intake manifold. Just capping the lines would stop all circulation through the heat system, because the whole thing is one circuit and runs from front core, to the rear, back to the intake.

I have never used the rear heat in that van, ran it in the winter, no issues with anything freezing except the water jug and a rear heater is not going to thaw that out in any meaningful way. Around here sometimes it can hover in the 0' F range for a few days at a time.
Old June 25th, 2021, 10:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Capping the lines was the wrong thing to say. One of the guys hanging around my neighbours stated 'capped'. I guess the word just stuck with me. You are right. He just removed the heater and connected the lines together.

I am still swinging back and forth on installing the heater.