Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear heat 2006 Suburban? Help!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear heat 2006 Suburban? Help!

Hello all!
I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the 2006 Suburban rear heat? When I turn the heat on in the front two zones the vehicle heats fine, but the rear stays cold. Not warm, cold. I have taken it to the dealer and they said that "the rear will not heat as well as the front because of the distance the water is traveling from the front of the vehicle to the rear unit." They also said they feel this is a poor design issue, and that is all I can get from them. I would not care if it was slightly cooler, but it is down right cold! This is after the vehicle has been allowed to warm up for 15 mins, and been driven for 30 mins, with the outside temperature of 30 degrees.

If it is not already obvious, I know nothing about cars. That is why I am turning to you for any help I can get. If the above is true, then I will start complaining to Chevy about the poor design. This is my first Cheverolet, and I was very excited about the purchase, but now I wonder if I should have stuck with my old Expedition.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me!
Old November 30th, 2006, 1:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rear heat 2006 Suburban? Help!

I have a 2001 with the same problem and dealer told me the same thing, but I refuse to believe it. I had a 96 and the rear heat was just as hot as the front, but the difference is the design of the way the heater hose are going to the rear. Since I know something about auto repair I took and rear design the way may rear hose's are running from the front where they tee in at the heater core, because that is the real problem, and ran them in more of a slant. Well since you don't know much about car's may you can tell someone and they can figure it out.
Old November 30th, 2006, 2:21 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Rear heat 2006 Suburban? Help!

the "angle" u refer 2 shouldn't b an issue (whether it's a 'tee' fitting, or angled to line up with the flow of hot coolant). my '91 only has rear heat (no rear window defroster) and it'll clear the rear window completely of fog/frost, after the ice/snow has been cleared off, in about 12-15 mins max! we're talkin' the screwy Ontario winter's ppl. lotsa moisture, up & dwn temps. haven't looked at the new 'burb/Tahoe's closely yet, maybe they're running smaller hose diameter for the rear heat? if this is so, why? anyone have any clues................