Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Remove center console, replace with console seat-Chevy Express

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove center console, replace with console seat-Chevy Express

My husband and I recently bought a 2005 Chevy Express 1500 AWD cargo van to convert to a camper. There are currently only two seats in it, and we will be having a baby in three months! I am looking at my options for additional seating. I am considering removing the center console and replacing with a console seat, because the console is huge and takes up a lot of room, and leaves no room for legs. Has anyone done this? Does the console actually cover up engine parts that would be exposed otherwise? Is there an aftermarket smaller replacement console?

My other option (probably easiest) is to install a third seat in the back. Just thought I'd check here first!

Thanks!
Old September 8th, 2014, 12:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would not install a seat between the front two, as there is no airbag there, and debris from the driver and passenger airbags could impact that passenger. Its not safe to have kids under 12 up front anyway.
Look into a couple aftermarket bucket seats or a rear bench. There is a rear bench option on the cargo, so a auto wrecker might have some used parts to scrounge.
Old September 8th, 2014, 8:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are calling a console is actually the engine cover with a small storage unit attached to it. Removal is not an option. It's best to find a single seat with built-in seat belt system and mount it behind the driver.
Old September 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

I am looking to do the same thing. I just purchased a 2011 AWD 8-passenger edition but need to carry 9 passengers sometimes (we have 7 kids!). I spoke with Van Specialties in Oregon and they can install a removable jump seat between the driver and passenger. Ideally I would like to replace the 3rd row 3-person bench seat with a 4-person bench seat but haven't found anything that would fit.

A captains chair with a swivel base might be another option for you for behind the driver or passenger seat. You could work it into your camper design.
Old September 9th, 2014, 6:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2002 ls passenger had the 12 passenger config, but then the last row was deleted and it was shipped as an 8. 2 up front, then 2 3 person benches. However, the floor rails have the slots for the 3rd bench. Check yours. Maybe you can add a factory bench from a 12 pass. you need the shoulder belts on the walls too. However watch your gvw. A half ton should not be carrying that many people.
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

That's what I was afraid of. But it looks like there is a big part of the "console" that is actually a cupholder/storage compartment. So there is nothing out there less bulky that could replace the engine cover, enabling me to install a middle seat?
Old October 12th, 2014, 9:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove the storage unit from the engine cover, but that doesn't gain you much. Vans by their nature have engines intruding into the passenger compartment to shorten up the front end. You would need an SUV to eliminate the engine intrusion. Have you considered just putting seat belt anchors in the floor and fastening down the child seat at floor level rather than using a seat? It'll be quite a while before the child will have any desire to see outside.
Old October 3rd, 2023, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DougE
You can remove the storage unit from the engine cover, but that doesn't gain you much. Vans by their nature have engines intruding into the passenger compartment to shorten up the front end. You would need an SUV to eliminate the engine intrusion. Have you considered just putting seat belt anchors in the floor and fastening down the child seat at floor level rather than using a seat? It'll be quite a while before the child will have any desire to see outside.
I am in the same situation and have been looking for a solution that won't take up a whole seat space in the "living area" behind the seats. Is it possible to install seat belt anchors directly into the floor? Have you done that/heard of someone doing that before? Would it require a special type of seat belt anchor? Interesting idea...