Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

rust driver door to rear wheel well

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2020, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust driver door to rear wheel well

I live in rust belt. I see cheap replacement rocker panels for the portion under the doors. What are my options for the long length between driver door and rear wheel well?
Old July 21st, 2020, 7:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I just get my cutoff wheel in my $9.99 harbor freight grinder, run a piece of tape down the side level with the highest portion of rot, and slice it off in an even line.

Then I get some similar color paint and paint whatever is underneath. Some guys just paint the bottom black.

It's not worth the trouble or expense to fix this purely cosmetic area. I think they do make a panel to go on here but it was fairly expensive and then you still have to weld or rivet it on and figure out how to hide the seam and hope that panel doesn't also rust.

Presumably when it's rusted this far you're either going to drive it into the ground, or the next guy is, and he won't care if it's rusty there.

The problem I have on mine is it's rotted under the doors on the other side and is so weak if I stand in the wrong place I bend the door latch out of alignment. So I try to stand on each end of the foot tub when I go in and out of those doors.

Last edited by William Kisselstein; July 21st, 2020 at 7:51 PM.