Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

(Semi)Permanently closing and sealing the fresh air door

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2020, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by VanKo
Just the opposite actually, I want to keep it closed as much as possible (like it is on recirc) all the time.
I'm pretty sure that it's a door that opens to the cabin interior. In other words:
open: drawing in cabin air, recirculating it.
closed: drawing in outside air.
(as always, YMMV)

Originally Posted by VanKo
Basically I want recirc mode to work on heat also.
As I said before, the temperature setting has no effect on the recirc door. Only the air delivery selector.

In the summer, after your vehicle bakes in the sun, the cabin air is hotter than outside air. So recirculating that hotter air is going to keep it hot longer.
Old November 25th, 2020, 8:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Also, if where you are the temperature gets cold in winter and when the relative humidity is quite high, there might be a high risk of fogging your windows all the time if there is not enough cabin air circulation. This is dangerous.

I wonder why you have so much exhaust smell in your van ? If I remember correctly, rarely I can face this kind of situation. Maybe once or twice a year when following an old car for a couples of minutes.
Like mountainmanjoe said, are you sure it is not an exhaust leak ?

Old November 26th, 2020, 5:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pomerlo
Also, if where you are the temperature gets cold in winter and when the relative humidity is quite high, there might be a high risk of fogging your windows all the time if there is not enough cabin air circulation. This is dangerous.

I wonder why you have so much exhaust smell in your van ? If I remember correctly, rarely I can face this kind of situation. Maybe once or twice a year when following an old car for a couples of minutes.
Like mountainmanjoe said, are you sure it is not an exhaust leak ?
I don't smell exhaust unless I'm following and old/smoky car or sitting in dense traffic. Alot of the cars in my area are old/sh!tty so I'm dealing with more exhaust smell now than I was a few weeks ago. In my last town, most of the cars were newer and I rarely smelled exhaust. I never smell exhaust when I'm on the road with no other cars around, either moving or sitting still. I have also spent many hours working on this van - it's definitely not leaking exhaust. And it's not that there's a huge amount of exhaust in the van, I just don't like any at all. This is the first car that I've had that I had to deal with this. I've always lived in dense areas and always kept the AC on recirc to avoid bringing in traffic exhaust into the car.

Last edited by VanKo; November 26th, 2020 at 6:00 AM.
Old November 26th, 2020, 6:02 AM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe

As I said before, the temperature setting has no effect on the recirc door. Only the air delivery selector.
I think this is where my confusion is. I assumed that if I put the control on MAX, it would make the compressor run. I haven't tried MAX with heat, I've only been using MAX for AC and the vent setting for heat. I will try it today and see if the compressor runs or not. This may all be my own stupidity
Old November 26th, 2020, 1:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

You are still a bit confused. The compressor turns on in these modes, regardless of the temperature setting.

If you turn MAX with heat, then the compressor will run. It does this to dry out the air for two reasons:
1. You cannot blow moist air at a cold windshield. The condensation will quickly obscure your vision
2. It takes less energy to heat dry air then moist air.

The operation is described in your owner's manual.