Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Shaky Headlights

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2017, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaky Headlights

I've had my 2004 Express 3500 for about a year and my problem has to do with the headlights shaking or vibrating as I go down the road. I did replace them both (entire units) a while back but am unsure if the problem was there with the old ones. It is really only noticeable when I am behind another vehicle. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas? I did check the mountings and all appears as it should.
Old August 29th, 2017, 11:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RTwe2
I've had my 2004 Express 3500 for about a year and my problem has to do with the headlights shaking or vibrating as I go down the road. I did replace them both (entire units) a while back but am unsure if the problem was there with the old ones. It is really only noticeable when I am behind another vehicle. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas? I did check the mountings and all appears as it should.
Composite or sealed beam?
Old August 29th, 2017, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Twscarp
Composite or sealed beam?
Composite
Old August 29th, 2017, 1:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Composite
I would remove them (very easy), remove the two bolts on top, paying attention that the bottom feet are in the slotted area of the frame. Then make sure the bulb sockets are completely latched in. If everything is good so far, remove the sockets with the bulbs, see if there is any looseness with the bulbs. Can't think of anything else that would cause the shaking.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1504030847
Attached Thumbnails Shaky Headlights-s-l1600.jpg  
Old August 29th, 2017, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

There is a gasket that comes with the new bulbs. If you replace a bulb, then sometimes the old gasket comes off the bulb and sticks to the housing. When you install the new bulb you are doubling up on the gasket and the bulb wont lock in properly.
If that is not the issue, then I would do as stated above. Make sure the housing is seated properly before adding the bolts.
Old August 31st, 2017, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
There is a gasket that comes with the new bulbs. If you replace a bulb, then sometimes the old gasket comes off the bulb and sticks to the housing. When you install the new bulb you are doubling up on the gasket and the bulb wont lock in properly.
If that is not the issue, then I would do as stated above. Make sure the housing is seated properly before adding the bolts.
The bulbs are HIDs and the housings were new so I reckon the gasket issue you described would not apply. But I should probably check for any looseness. I did ensure the housings were properly seated.
Old August 31st, 2017, 7:10 AM
CF Senior Member

I did replace them both (entire units) a while back but am unsure if the problem was there with the old ones.
You failed to tell us you installed HID's, pretty sure that's where your problem is.

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1504181309

HID Flickering Problem ? Reason and Solution :: Modify Street
Attached Thumbnails Shaky Headlights-screen-shot-2017-08-31-8.07.36-am.png  
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:24 AM
CF Junior Member

I have them too. On mine the lower mounting feet are broken and allows the entire unit to shake. The street signs look like strobe lights and I'm sure in annoying for the folks in front of me. I would double check the mounts on the housing.
Old October 9th, 2017, 6:55 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you figured out the cause yet ?
So many times I read threads that are
Incomplete....
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:08 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
Have you figured out the cause yet ?
So many times I read threads that are
Incomplete....
Most of the time we never hear about the outcome of the problems people have with their vehicles.