Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Shift Solonoids 2005 Express 3500, 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2022, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Solonoids 2005 Express 3500, 6.0L

Hi all. I'm new here, and also new to learning about cars. I bought a 2005 Van and I think it will run for a long time if I take care of it, but I've had a lot of smaller things go bad. And it's been fun to learn how to fix them. My most recent is a P0752 code, and from what I can tell, I think replacing the shift solonoids is the most likely cheap solution that I hope to be able to do myself. The transmission fluid level was fine, btw.

I ordered some from RockAuto, dropped the pan. Good news ( I think ) was that there were no metal shavings in the pan, which I took as a sign that the transmission going bad is not the problem.

However, I could use some help finding the exact parts that I need; I'm not sure the ones that I bought are correct. My RockAuto file path was Chevrolet > 2005 > Express 3500 > 6.0L V8 > Transmission - Automatic > Shift Solonoid.

There it listed a lot of different parts and I wasn't sure which ones I needed. I have a 17 bolt pan, so I ended up getting the TCS36 (it says 1-2 shift soneloid, which I took it to mean Shift Solonoid A) & TCS58 (it says 2-3 shift soneloid, which I thought was Shift Solenoid B).

First, I'm not really sure what 1-2 and 2-3 means. I think it means gears 1-2, meaning that one is Solonoid A; and the other is gears 2-3, meaning Solonoid B. (if I'm wrong here, call me a dumbass)

When I dropped the pan, I found that both the existing solonoids appear to look identical to the TCS58 (the one that said 2-3) part. It is obvious that the TCS36 (the one that said 1-2) will NOT fit.

Does anyone know if the solonoids in the 2005 Express 3500 6.0 are the same part, or are they different parts? Can I just buy two of the TCS58 (2-3) parts because the appear that they will fit?

I would appreciate a little help with this if anyone knows. I'm new to this but I want to learn more about vehicles. This 17 year old van has given me a lot of opportunities to do that. There is a lot of info online about shift solonoids, but I'm having trouble finding specifically on the GM 6.0.

Last edited by thenewguy.; August 7th, 2022 at 8:16 AM.
Old August 7th, 2022, 8:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

First you need to know just what trans is in your vehicle and that can be found by looking at the sticker on the driver's door pillar. It will show a trans code and you go from there.
A better way is to take your VIN to a chev dealership parts dept and from that they can supply you with the correct parts,, if available.

It is good trying to help yourself, but you are in a little over your head with transmission problems. Replacing good parts can be very disappointing and expensive.

You might consider investing in a few good training manuals, that is the cheapest way to learn.
Then you might decide to invest in some good test equipment and proper tools, and that can cost some $$$ too.
Without those two items you can be shooting in the dark.
Videos are fine, if you know why you are doing what you need to do. If not, That can of worms is always standing by waiting for you to open it.
Old August 9th, 2022, 8:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

'05 3500 is almost surely going to have a 4L80E

I would have first checked for low fluid, or done a fluid change, based on what I read for this code.

My 2002 shifted a little delayed and soft when the fluid was too low. Same trans.

As to which solenoid is which, as the other poster said you're going to need a manual.

Most of the ones that claim to be the entire manual on a CD-ROM on eBay are junk
Old August 13th, 2022, 1:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 665 Likes on 603 Posts

"solenoid"

How many miles on the transmission?

Don't be a parts changer. Follow the troubleshooting here ...
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0752
Old August 14th, 2022, 7:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

What's funny is I left college ATRA certified to work on automatic transmissions despite never having rebuilt one and the inside of them may as well be a jigsaw puzzle of a white rabbit in a snowstorm to me. If it's something you can drop the pan and easily access I might attempt it, but I would want to find a youtube video on it plus have a manual and so forth before I tried.
The following users liked this post:
MitchM (September 2nd, 2022)