Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Shrink Wrap Estimate

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2019, 9:56 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Shrink Wrap Estimate

I noted an ad about shrinking wrapping vehicles, so I wrote for a quote. I like the idea on shrinkwrap, but after reading something recently I am not sure it holds up the same as paint. If you think about it, it is a softer material. It would make sense that it would scratch easier than paint does. Especially paint with a good hard clear coat.

The insurance company documented $5200.00 damage to my truck that they are ready to pay for and fix today.

$5200.

Last edited by dberladyn; August 8th, 2019 at 9:59 PM.
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:05 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

never really dealt with it but even with automotive paint you add "flex" to it so its not as "hard". i would think the wrap might be able to take some bumps better than paint but when it comes to scratches i dont think either would really hold up but then you might be able to "buff" the paint but not the wrap
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 9th, 2019)
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:16 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you take two materials, say diamond and glass, when they contact, the softer gives, not the harder material. Rub a diamond on glass. The glass will scratch, the diamond will not. This is the same reason cars today require plastic tools. The plastic tool used to remove plastic car trim is of a softer plastic than the car plastic, hence the tool degrades and the not the car part. I would think the harder the finish of the paint the better. You are definitely right about the buffing.