Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Side door squeak driving me nuts can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2020, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side door squeak driving me nuts can anyone help?

Guys my 2009 Chevy Express has the side doors that open up.... not a slider. Recently the smaller of the two doors has encountered a squeak that is driving me absolutely insane. I think it's the metal rubbing itself where it is seemed or spot welded somewhere. I have lubricated every point the door latches or makes contact with the body along with the hinges and it will just not go away. Does anybody have any sort of clue what I can do to get this thing to shut up?! If I open the door and flex it it will make the squeak but I'll be damned if I can figure out from where

Last edited by expressvanman; April 25th, 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old April 25th, 2020, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

try penetrating fluid. its the best product to stop squeaky hinges. spray it on and work the door back and forth.
Old April 25th, 2020, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
try penetrating fluid. its the best product to stop squeaky hinges. spray it on and work the door back and forth.
It's not the hinges. It's like a metal on metal squeak and I think it's one of the seams or how the door is spot welded together. I have shot penetrating oil on this door till it's dripping off the body.
Old April 25th, 2020, 7:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the hinge pins, may need a new set.
Old April 25th, 2020, 8:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

Is there an inner panel you can remove to get a better idea what's making the noise? NO REST till you find it!
Old April 26th, 2020, 2:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I think my doors make noise because:

1. the rods which part of the lock linkage vibrate against things. I think some strategically placed sticky back foam tape might fix that.

2. the glass of the swing out windows vibrates against the rubber seals. Some silicone grease there might help. (or make it worse)
Old April 26th, 2020, 7:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Is there an inner panel you can remove to get a better idea what's making the noise? NO REST till you find it!
yeah there's a plastic panel I have to pop. I think it's just a two seams that are roll over each other and spot welded. It's a really high pitch consistent squeak and the smallest vibration will set it off. Even if my wheels aren't perfectly balanced it just goes off nonstop down the expressway. It'll drive you nuts. He spent the next week recovering my tires are about halfway down and they're due for rotation and balance. That'll help but you still get on a crappy Road it just goes crazy
Old April 26th, 2020, 7:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Beau Oszman
Check the hinge pins, may need a new set.
Pins are good... van is in really good shape. I really think it's how the metal is rolled over and spot welded. I just can't get it to shut up
Old April 26th, 2020, 7:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I think my doors make noise because:

1. the rods which part of the lock linkage vibrate against things. I think some strategically placed sticky back foam tape might fix that.

2. the glass of the swing out windows vibrates against the rubber seals. Some silicone grease there might help. (or make it worse)
Yeah I don't think it's the rods. I know what that sounds like I've got plenty of old muscle cars. It's a really high pitch metal on metal squeak

I ordered this van with no glass. My next one is going to have a slider! 🙄
Old April 26th, 2020, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

Maybe if you can see the seams from the inside, you could hit them with a graphite or teflon spray product.
The following users liked this post:
expressvanman (April 26th, 2020)

Quick Reply: Side door squeak driving me nuts can anyone help?