Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Sliding Van Door

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2021, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliding Van Door

hey all,
I have a 2004 chevy express 3500 with a manual sliding door. It got in an accident at one point and has been unable to open since. Recently, it seems as though something else got loose and the door is violently shaking when I go over 60mph. I want to go to the pick and pull to get a new sliding door. Im wondering if anyone has any helpful tips/tricks to removing the sliding door and possible installing the barn doors instead. I imagine the track to the sliding door is warped which is why it won't open. Trying to figure out what to do, I haven't had much luck online. Thank you to all in advance
Old August 29th, 2021, 2:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

On this generation of vans the hinges are welded in place. The barn door has a different step well than the slider. I don't think it has any provision to mount the latches, the small door latches top and bottom and the larger door latches to it. It would require a large amount of fabricating, or changing over parts, to make the swap work.

Probably the handle is broken or bent, this is very common. The van I had with a slider, sometimes it required pressing in the sheetmetal with your hand behind the outside handle for it to unlatch.

Which, if it's shaking, it's probably not latched correctly.
The following users liked this post:
tsoleno (August 30th, 2021)
Old August 30th, 2021, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Me, I would start@ the inside door handle and remove the trim, then the panel to see what it takes to release. I've broken that handle on mine. Maybe have someone tug the rear of the door outward as the handle is activated.