Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old August 10th, 2015, 2:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Softer suspension? 3500 extended passenger

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2013, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride on 2500 Express van

Continuing the discussion on the stiff suspension. All the things I did to improve the ride worked and no down side such as added body roll or excessive bounce or not being able to carry the pay load etc.. Just up side of fixing the severe issue in the rear.

Seems the Chevy suspension is very basic designed to carry cargo ok but not humans comfortably.

For the future, ideally, Chevy will stay with this full size van and come out with a true next generation from the ground up.. Features such as modern high end suspension for humans, uni-body construction to remove weight, v6 turbo gas and diesel and quiet up the cabin from road and wind noise. This would provide for a very nice base passenger van and also give the conversion companies. My understanding is Ford may be doing this but we will need to see what they really do an if they truly modernize their suspension for humans along with these other features. Coming out Spring of Summer 2014 named the Transit. They already have some info on their website. Ford - Cars, SUVs, Trucks & Crossovers | Ford Vehicles | The Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com
Old November 29th, 2013, 8:49 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RobbyJoe, how can you recommend something you have not tried? Put those parts in your van and get back to us. Spam...
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

The problem isn't a bouncy ride, it's a stiff ride. The springs are stiff as rocks. I can't see how new shocks would make it less stiff. I can't see how adding something else (strutmaster) would make it less stiff.
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

ok... i mentioned strutmaster only to see if anybody would logically oppose it. i am a war vet with blown out ears having high pitch ringing and when it comes to doing homework concentration well lets just say i pretty slow learner.

Discussion is evolving into how to have a more human quality luxury ride from a cargo van. And what would be intelligence way to go?

So far it seems we all can agree, simplest way to go AND the root core cause — the first basic step, is addressing the issue how the Springs respond.

if this is true then Spring modification is the first way to go.

and 2nd option is rear air bags
and 3rd option is a quality front shocks like Bilsteins.

But what about the Cadillac Escalate? has anybody thought on those lines?
it is a truck chassis system !!! What do they have for that luxury quality ride?

they did something much more than just the above 3 options !!!

thanks robby joe
Old December 1st, 2013, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default Escalade / Suburban suspension

Joe brings up a good point. I was wondering the same thing. We have a current version Escalade in the family. I got under there and it is a completely different suspension system. I didn't understand what I was looking at. It has long bars going front to back and other things. This provides much more of a minivan / car type of ride for sure.

The Suburban / Escalade has about the same people and luggage capacity as a good full sized minivan. I have owned several of both. My 2500 Express van is the extended 9 passenger and this has the capacity I need with two grand kids in car seats and the rest of the family. Neither the minivan nor the Suburban class vehicle can do what I need room wise. Thus the Express van.
Pound for pound, dollar for dollar to buy and operate the minivan is the best.
Old December 1st, 2013, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Is the Escalade torsion bars?
Old December 2nd, 2013, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

WAIT A MINUTE .. gtcuthbe said he tried strutmaster and not worked !!

thats seems weird? Maybe they not helped BECAUSE he had BAD Springs to begin with?????

read this...
Chevrolet Astro Cargo Van Questions - Controling a Bouncing Betty front suspension?? - CarGurus

its hard for me to believe strutmaster components didn't work?
Their not in business for nothing?

it is starting to sound like i HAVE to go both ways...
i have to do something to upgrade my Springs AND
i have to upgrade other suspension components

THUS i should use these kits that strutmaster recommended? :

Chevrolet Express 2500 Van Reflex Shock (M911257-RTS756) | Strutmasters.com

Express 2500 Passenger Van Roadmaster Kit (RM-2613-M-03) | Strutmasters.com

Chevrolet Express 2500 Van Reflex Shock (M911086-RTS395) | Strutmasters.com

2007-2013 Chevrolet Express Front SumoSpring Kit (SSF-204CHEV) | Strutmasters.com

strutmaster says.. these are the products that i would use on it if it was mine . sumo spring will cushion the front end when hitting bumps and the roadmaster kit will soften the rear . plus all new shocks will help soften the ride too .
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:45 PM
CF Beginner

ok after more homework .. studying various shock systems and thoroughly reading more what everybody says herein.. i think it's right YOU HAVE TO GET TO THE CORE OF THE PROBLEM which is modifying the Springs.

Looks like i too am headed for a spring shop first before i get shocks. i am thinking maybe Gabriel shocks are better and because they don't rust.

Appears Suspension outlets are just more interested in selling you their products and not getting to the core of problem which is the Stiff Springs.

After i tell them i am going to modify the Springs THEN they recommend a different shock as oppose to what they first recommend.

i was study web article about older, top of the line cars, like Lincoln and cadillac in their early days they were famous for luxury quality ride, that floating feeling. (having early basic tech components). Back in the early days cars were big AND everybody DID NOT "gas it" but drove slow in more appreciation and they floated right over bumbs!! Ook after more homework .. studying various shock systems and thoroughly reading more what everybody says herein.. i think it's right YOU HAVE TO GET TO THE CORE OF THE PROBLEM which is modifying the Springs.

Lincoln vs. Cadillac: The Lincoln Ride | MILEPOSTS Garage

BOTTOM LINE: there's no front and rear independent suspension system like on the cadillac's. So i was kind-na thinking, "could there be a way to have a generic independent suspension system on these Chevys simply by removing much more spring performance and compensating the missing performance with special shocks ( maybe two shocks on each wheel one on a angle)??? ???? dreaming i guess!!

Although, their are some cars that have a shock and spring system all as one component.

One has to go slow in these Chevy's anyway cause gas hogs. So i wouldn't mind that old-time-floating-feeling.
Although, their are some cars that have a shock and spring system all as one component. though ya like to hear this maybe it would give ya some more ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Softer suspension?  3500 extended passenger-back-left-side-2.jpg  

Last edited by robby Joe; December 5th, 2013 at 11:24 PM.