Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Sound system in conversion van

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2018, 9:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanVan
Something you should know about FM transmitter devices. Because of band width, FM has a limited frequency range, chopped on the high side. The human ear hears close to 20K hertz, but FM stations only transmit to 12K, Stations try to compensate with pushing those higher frequencies, and in the process, cause distortion. Not an issue with those FM phone hands free thingies, but for music....You should look in to HDRadio. It's CD or satellite radio quality broadcast over FM frequencies. It is digital quality sound.

https://hdradio.com/
Thats why I was trying to send the audio from the TV to the headunit using the AV cable, into the aux port of the Jensen.

HD radio sounds great, but also is an external module for my head unit. I will get one this blackfriday/cybermonday.

Thanks Stan, much appreciated all your input.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 9:11 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
You had to bring that up. I just pulled the trigger and committed to another head unit for my van today. It does not have HD. That is a separate component to ad. On the other hand, it's all part of my plan I guess. You wouldn't believe the things I think of doing to my truck. I shouldn't be wasting any money right now, but at the same time I just have to. Including the factory radio, this is the fifth head unit purchase. One of my ideas was to lose the head unit all together, move the HVAC and install a large touch screen and a built in car computer. Perhaps, even retaining and just moving the factory radio. The best plan was probably just to leave it all and run a tablet on a mount and connect the sound via bluetooth. I actually did that, the custom commercially designed mount made for this truck broke. Up until then, that was the smartest, but I keep changing my mind for various details. This head unit will allow me start looking into why I lost my backup camera. I shorted something when I made a decision that I kept avoiding and avoiding and avoiding until one day last year I just decided to go ahead and do it while my life was worse than it is now (I moved my fusebox, extending the wires, breaking my own rule not to damage anything factory).

I might still build a car computer and this head unit will get disassembled and used for the faceplate/screen. It's all simpler than you might at first think. I just continually ask myself, do I really want to get bogged down into programming and choosing an OS, etc. For me, half of this is a hobby which brings me happiness so... don't question too much why I do what. I try to bring practicality with my enjoyment.

Enjoy the journey!!! Have fun while doing it"
Old November 23rd, 2018, 1:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you ever need to replace the head unit, look into Pioneer. Their units play a bunch of video formats., and a lot of them have HDRadio built in.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 1:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If those companies were smart, they would go fully open source and drop all their proprietary garbage. They would also give the Chinese manufacturers a run for their money by molding custom faceplates for each vehicle. High Quality components with a look that matches factory would sell. I've looked at all of those, they just look like flashy junk cosmetically. I do not want shiny buttons and grotesque styling. That's for young punks. At least in my view.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

I needed gps, Bluetooth, rear camera and cost was really low in Amazon for the jensen.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 9:21 PM
CF Veteran

Except for the GPS, my Pioneer has all that for about $325. I use Waze on my phone. It also entertains my copilot.
Old November 26th, 2018, 1:04 PM
CF Active Member

150 for my unit. Another Amazon deal, but will look into them once my current head goes out. But the problem i sitll have with the ignition noise, should i use a inline RCA filter?
Old November 26th, 2018, 5:23 PM
CF Veteran

My first instinct is to choke it off at the source. But it's been (mumble mumble) years since I was in the business, I wouldn't know where to find a capacitor, or where on today's cars it would go.

So, yes, a filter is worth a try.
Old November 26th, 2018, 5:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You could probably try using a noise filter at the power source of the radio if you are having problems, just cut this into the radio's 12v power. I have no idea on which is the best purchase, but they are all about $10. It is a pretty simple device.

Do you have an Amplifier in that truck or is the Head Unit doing all the work? Maybe there is too many speakers to drive? Maybe the Amplifiers are not getting enough power?
Old November 26th, 2018, 5:54 PM
CF Veteran

That might work as well, but the noise only happens when using the media player device. So, if it is going to work, the filter needs to be on the media device power.