Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Sound system in conversion van

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2018, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah perfect.
I have no idea if I have a power amplifier. I look for it and couldnt find it. I guess not.
Old November 26th, 2018, 7:01 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
That might work as well, but the noise only happens when using the media player device. So, if it is going to work, the filter needs to be on the media device power.
Actually, I will have to retest to test this theory. I will try to get the screen to play something without the media player (it has a built in DVD player) connecting it to the head unit with the AV cable. Somehow I have the feeling it is the screen what needs the filter. This because there is no noise if I use the media player connected to the screen and I make the sound go out of the screen via FM to the radio.

Last edited by GeneveConversionVan; November 26th, 2018 at 7:11 PM.
Old November 26th, 2018, 7:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You know this "flow chart" of equipment better than us, so use that method to determine the most likely conduit for the noise. But it sounds like you may have hit it. I'd suggest finding another device to hook to the media device to see which it is, the TV, or the media device.
Old November 27th, 2018, 9:58 AM
CF Active Member

You know this "flow chart" of equipment better than us, so use that method to determine the most likely conduit for the noise. But it sounds like you may have hit it. I'd suggest finding another device to hook to the media device to see which it is, the TV, or the media device.
Sounds more complicated than it actually is as my 10 year old kid operates everything with a remote lol.
Old November 27th, 2018, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Yes, but you have an idea how each piece is connected to the other. Close observation of what situation the issue presents itself should eliminate what isn't causing the issue. Fro my seat here in Northern Virginia, it looks like either the TV or the media device.

Try grounding the outside of an RCA plug. Doesn't matter which one. A theory of mine is that somehow it may not be grounded.
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:04 AM
CF Active Member

Yes, but you have an idea how each piece is connected to the other. Close observation of what situation the issue presents itself should eliminate what isn't causing the issue. Fro my seat here in Northern Virginia, it looks like either the TV or the media device.

Try grounding the outside of an RCA plug. Doesn't matter which one. A theory of mine is that somehow it may not be grounded.
that will be connecting the outside to the chasis, right? Uhmm Will it work if I somehow ground it to the closest seat belt screw, right?
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, anywhere with good contact to any piece of solid metal. The seat belt bolts are what I use to ground my amps with 4 gauge wire. They are a good spot. To ensure good contact, you could scuff up the steel where the electrical connections are.
Old November 28th, 2018, 12:19 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Yes, anywhere with good contact to any piece of solid metal. The seat belt bolts are what I use to ground my amps with 4 gauge wire. They are a good spot. To ensure good contact, you could scuff up the steel where the electrical connections are.
Perfect, will give it a try. Another cable/wire!
Old November 28th, 2018, 3:27 PM
CF Veteran

I'm actually suggesting that you ground the RCA shield. If my theory is correct, the ground might be somehow isolated inside the media device. Just take a grounded wire and touch it to the outside of the connector whilst it's making the clicking noise. If it goes away, there's your problem, and a permanent solution is then called for.
Old November 28th, 2018, 3:57 PM
CF Active Member

I'm actually suggesting that you ground the RCA shield. If my theory is correct, the ground might be somehow isolated inside the media device. Just take a
grounded wire and touch it to the outside of the connector whilst it's making the clicking noise. If it goes away, there's your problem, and a permanent solution is then called for.
Correct, thats what I understood and will do... I might have explained in a way it makes you think I will do something different.

Thanks