Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Stealth work van project

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2015, 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesn't have any back windows and it doesn't bother me.

Bluewhale, is the airbag/cover from the van or from the silverado? Of course you can get a wheel much cheaper without these, so if the vans would fit on to the silverado's wheel, that would save some money.

Thanks ,

Brew
Old February 17th, 2015, 9:00 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is my fourth van, I haven't had one in over 15 years. All my other vans had rear windows, two had glass on the slider. Now, looking back, I wouldn't ever prefer glass over blank steel, unless of course it was a passenger / touring van.
Old February 17th, 2015, 5:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I have the limousine tint on mine, and you can't see inside even if its dark and the interior lights are on. Security wise it makes no diff to have no windows.....you still have 3 up front. Also, no window vans are a bitch to park and back up. I will never have another windowless cargo van.....
I put a small 2 inch tach in that space just under the tow haul switch. It really p's me off that the vans don't have a tach.....serioulsly gm?
What happened to the power mirror switch? Did it fall inside the door?
I had the same idea about the tach. Coming soon. Yes the tabs for the mirror switch broke an fell inside

Originally Posted by tsbrewers
Mine doesn't have any back windows and it doesn't bother me.
Bluewhale, is the airbag/cover from the van or from the silverado? Of course you can get a wheel much cheaper without these, so if the vans would fit on to the silverado's wheel, that would save some money.

Thanks ,

Brew
Its the original van airbag.
Old February 18th, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I put a small 2 inch tach in that space just under the tow haul switch. It really p's me off that the vans don't have a tach.....serioulsly gm?
What happened to the power mirror switch? Did it fall inside the door?
There's a Tach on the DIC? At least on mine there is.
Old February 20th, 2015, 1:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not know that. However, there should be a gauge style tach on the cluster. Almost every other gm vehicle does, except the vans.....joke.
Old February 21st, 2015, 12:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Yeah, I didn't even realize it was missing a tach until a few days after I bought it. I was disappointed at first but then, it's a van, it's mainly an automatic, a tach really isn't needed. But then again, mine has manual control of the 6sp automatic, so a tach would be nice but it's displayed on the DIC for you.

With my 5 speed Colorado, I actually rarely look at the tach. Occasionally when I rev it up for bit of fun off the line, but normally the only time I look at the tack is if I am wanting to know the motor is running and occasionally how smoothly. Other than that... the information on a DIC works just fine. Hill climbing with a trailer... switching the DIC to Tach is just fine with me.
Old February 21st, 2015, 4:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I am pulling up the mountain pass, and I downshift to second and am stuck in second for a long, time, I want to know that I am not going over 3500 rpm or so. You can't do that by ear. Most folks can do without a tach, but for me, I like to know what things are doing on the truck. GM is being cheap as usual. Vans have been without a tach for decades....At least the DIC is something though.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 8:53 AM
CF Pro Member

I tried manual shifting with the push button just for the fun of it. It scared me, I can't do anything by ear or feel in the van either. Actually your right, looking back at that moment I'd prefer a needle too, trying to comprehend the digital readout wasn't really working for me.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:06 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

???..
Old February 22nd, 2015, 2:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Sorry, I guess that wasn't very clear. I have a 6 speed automatic transmission, which allows you electronic manual control via two buttons on the shifter. If you have an older 4 speed you might not be aware of that. Anyway I was admitting it would be nice to have an analogue tachometer instead of the digital readout.

For highway driving in regards to manual shifting, the digital tach is fine, but if I was actually to attempt manual shifting in traffic (with all these hills in my area) using only the digital tach, I'd probably blow the motor. But then I'll never be doing that. I can live with my digital tach, it's all I need, but an analogue tach would be nice.

Last edited by dberladyn; February 22nd, 2015 at 2:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Stealth work van project