Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Sticking drivers side brake

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2021, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sticking drivers side brake

It's on a 1984 g30. The caliper and hose for that side were replaced. With the vehicle running, the caliper will not retract after I pump up the brakes. The caliper only releases when I crack the bleeder or remove the brake hose from the caliper. Hence it appears the brake hose is holding pressure and preventing the fluid from returning to the MC. However, the hose is brand new so this doesn't seem right. Any tips? Thanks

Last edited by ManWithAVan; October 1st, 2021 at 1:28 PM. Reason: Wrong vehicle name
Old September 28th, 2021, 2:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

It wouldn't be the first time a "new" part was defective.
The following users liked this post:
dualtech (October 2nd, 2021)
Old October 1st, 2021, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
It wouldn't be the first time a "new" part was defective.
Respectfully, how could a hose be defective out of the box? I've heard of old, fatigued hoses collapsing but I have no idea what could be causing it to be blocked if it had never been used before. I went with the parts store brand, so maybe I should try to use OEM to avoid it happening again.
Old October 2nd, 2021, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

I have seen this happen with new hoses as well. Try removing the hose completely and blowing compressed air through it. Also check that the hose hasn't been pinched by anything. Some one tons had a metal bracket on the hose that can be pinched by the control arm if the vehicle has a shock removed or the wrong shocks.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 10:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Just picture this,
A problem has been determined to require replacement of a certain part. The person may or may not be new at this .
So, they purchase a "new" part made overseas and not too particularly inspected for quality , but was cheap to make and produces a good profit result.
They were pretty sure that was the problem and after they get done installing that part, not being sure how it really is supposed to work, obtains the same result and concludes it must be something else because I just installed a new part, so it can't be that. This is today a very common problem with cheap junk parts being sold here and now the poor soul starts throwing more money at the problem and maybe even installing more defective cheap parts on the vehicle . NOW, there are multiple problems, and winds up having a shop handle the problem. Just because it is "New" is no guarantee it is good. That is why shops that do quality work, charge more because they have been burned with cheap parts that are defective right out of the box, AND they stick with mostly OEM parts. There are a lot of good aftermarket parts out there where domestic companies have made a large investment to produce quality parts. The trick is to watch what you purchase and try to purchase parts made in the USA.
mountainmanjoe (October 3rd, 2021)
Old October 3rd, 2021, 1:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

Real life example: bought a master cylinder on Ebay for my 85 Nissan 200sx; rear brakes kept dragging. Sent back, replacement did same thing. Got a 3rd one at Rockauto, problem solved.
mountainmanjoe (October 3rd, 2021)
Old October 8th, 2021, 2:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

You got a bad one, It happens. Maybe it's old even though never used. Parts place should warranty it out, just replace it.