Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Trans cable adjustment???

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2017, 9:37 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans cable adjustment???

So my 2000 express 2500 won't go into park or the lowest gear. I went under and the white clip on the trans cable was out and the top of the cable would push in and out. I pushed the cable all the way in and snapped the clip in. it will now go into lowest gear but not park? Is there and more adjustment under the dash? Or what am I missing??

Last edited by DWB; October 9th, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the cable has broken, and is just at the unravelling stage. You should replace it. When mine broke on my 2002 it just went.....I geared down to 1st gear on a hill, and it would not up shift......bottom half of cable froze in 1st. I had to climb under unhook the cable and shift to drive manually. Make absolute sure you parking brakes work before doing this.......otherwise it will roll on you when you shift to drive while under the van. Best to have 2 people.
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:53 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Sounds like the cable has broken, and is just at the unravelling stage. You should replace it. When mine broke on my 2002 it just went.....I geared down to 1st gear on a hill, and it would not up shift......bottom half of cable froze in 1st. I had to climb under unhook the cable and shift to drive manually. Make absolute sure you parking brakes work before doing this.......otherwise it will roll on you when you shift to drive while under the van. Best to have 2 people.
It was just replaced the cable just over a year ago.

Last edited by DWB; October 9th, 2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Did this problem just start? Or since the new cable repalcement?
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:05 AM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Did this problem just start? Or since the new cable repalcement?
The shifter never felt right after the replacement but worked fine. This not going into park and the lowest gear just started about a week ago.
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

I ask because it sounds like the cable is not long enough. Not being able to reach the furthest of the 2 gears. Its been too long since I did mine to remember, but could it be shortened somehow, perhaps at one of the connection points?
Is the part that snaps into the floor hole in all the way?
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:18 AM
DWB
CF Junior Member

I ask because it sounds like the cable is not long enough. Not being able to reach the furthest of the 2 gears. Its been too long since I did mine to remember, but could it be shortened somehow, perhaps at one of the connection points?
Is the part that snaps into the floor hole in all the way?
I do need to get up under there and try some more stuff.The white clip was out and I pushed the part on rubber boot side all the way in and pushed the clip in. Maybe I need to try to pull it way out and put the clip back in??????
Old October 11th, 2017, 12:21 AM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Right now it's all the way in and I think that makes it short. If you are saying it needs to be longer I will try to unclip it and pull the cable all the way out and reclip it it. Now it after dark here in the 57th state so tomorrow.
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

If I remember, you have to pull that clip, and set the trans shift lever to a certain position, and manually click the tranny into a certain position and then click it back in.

I found all this with a quick google.....

Shift Cable Adjustment

Position the steering column transmission shift lever to PARK (P).
Apply the parking brake.

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the range select lever clockwise until it reaches the full mechanical stop position.

Slide the black retaining clip forward on the range select lever cable end. This will allow the white lock button to be pushed out.

Push the white lock button on the range select lever cable end out. This will free the metal core adjust body which is inside the cable end. Do not push the white lock button completely out.

Inspect the metal core adjust body on the cable end for dirt or debris that may restrict the travel. Remove any debris by washing the cable end, the metal core adjust body, and the white lock button with soap and water. If the travel of the metal core adjust body remains restricted after the cleaning, replace the cable assembly. Refer to Shift Cable Replacement .

Lower the vehicle.

Ensure that the parking brake is applied.

Turn ON the ignition switch.

Move the transmission shift lever from PARK (P) to 1 and back to PARK (P) ten times.

Place the steering column transmission shift lever in the Park (P) position.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Position the transmission range select lever to PARK (P). Rotate the range select lever clockwise until it reaches the mechanical stop position.

Push in the white lock button in order to secure the core adjuster body inside the range select lever cable end.

Slide the black retainer clip rearward over the cable end until it covers the white lock button. Lock the clip over the cable end.

Lower the vehicle.

Turn ON the ignition switch.

Ensure that all the transmission shift light positions (P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1) engaged and illuminate. If you cannot perform this task, repeat the cable adjustment procedures.

Ensure that the engine starts in PARK (P) and in NEUTRAL (N) positions only. If the engine does not start in PARK (P) and in NEUTRAL (N), the Park/Neutral Position Switch may need adjustment. Refer to Park/Neutral

Position Switch Adjustment .

Turn the ignition switch to LOCK.

Ensure that the ignition key can only be removed with the transmission shift lever in the PARK (P) position.

Start the engine and check the vehicle transmission shifting. The range select lever cable is properly adjusted if the steering column shift light positions are the same as the transmission engagements.
Old October 12th, 2017, 12:28 AM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Thanks that was good stuff. I did move the cable to the furthest point out and did get it to go into park but not the lowest gear. The ignition will not turn all the way off but the key comes out because it's old. The light behind the P-R-N-D-3-2-1 won't go off. I need to go through those steps and see if I can get it.